Strange Wi-Fi sporadically not connecting situation

learninmypc

One big question mark in this situation. It started yesterday when I rebooted & couldn't get on line wirelessly. I rebooted & got back on. NO changes have been in the wi fi settings.
My W7 tower & iPhone are on the same wifi & no problems.
Capture wi fi.JPG

Last edited:
Well, since I posted this, I've had no problems. I had to plug into the DSL to make above post but am on the wireless right now. :confused: but :)

So am I to assume there is no solution/fix for this?
As previously stated, my W7 tower & iPhone have no problem connecting & staying connected, just my Vaio Vista laptop occasionally needs to be rebooted to get back online. Any help?

Well, with 252 views & no help, I'm forced to put it back on DSL till I can figure out what is going on. Thanks. :)

One big question mark in this situation. It started yesterday when I rebooted & couldn't get on line wirelessly. I rebooted & got back on. NO changes have been in the wi fi settings.
My W7 tower & iPhone are on the same wifi & no problems.
View attachment 77969
That Modem/Fax connection is for dial-up while your LAN & WiFi are under Network Adapters

Ok, here is the Network Adapters
Network Adapters.JPG
"EDIT" Right now, I'm using the wi fi via my USB Belkin & no problems.

@jobeard or whomever knows, My Bluetooth is also connected, is that necessary?
It's been that way all the time, I've just never given it any thought till now. TIA :)

Should not matter. I have Lan, WiFi & BT also and BT doesn't interfere at all.

@jobeard , can you explain why it is sometimes when I (re)boot up & no wifi I can plug my USB wifi into the USB get online & then remove it & stay online? That happened this morning & a couple times since this started. TIA :)

Hmm; If you're still on line after you disconnect the USB, then clearly it was not used to make the connection.
Sounds like the scanning for USB config info is causing the onboard to be found too.

Perhaps @LookinAround might have some insight here

I'm not certain what's going on either. A couple things that might help better understand what's going on

Watch your Networking Notification Icons
I believe there are 2 different notification icons: One for wireless and another for wired networks.
> Look at bottom right of screen for your notification icons
> click the up arrow then Customize
> Scroll to find both icons and set them both to Show icon and notifications
Now you should be able to hover your mouse over each icon and see the status of each network connection

Network And Sharing
Have a look at the Network and Sharing Center. Get familiar with what things look like when everything's working and connected... so you might notice changes when things don't work

Ok, to the best of my knowledge, I have wireless & Bluetooth.
When I wasn't able to get online, one of the reasons mentioned was being too far from the router which I know is BS. I've had this laptop for what, 5 to 6 months & suddenly its telling me I'm too far? LOL.
Anyhow, I will re review my desktop notification & put the necessary one to "show" instead of hide when not in use.
I'll take a screen shot of the Network & Sharing so I can compare if need be. Thank you.
Right now I'm using my USB wifi adapter. :)

@LookinAround , This is getting stranger. I right clicked the taskbar>properties & made it so the necessary icons in the notiication were always visible. Now just my AV icon is visible.:confused:

Last edited:
@jobeard & @LookinAround , unless one of you have a better idea, I'm giving up on wi fi. This laptop has a Smart wi fi connection utility which I thought was turned but it wasn't till I did so but it still don't help.
I was considering using my Belkin CD USB to install its software but I believe its been done since it works that way. One very confused laptop here. Now I see why the Original owner got rid of it.
Is it possible the built in wi fi got broke or ??? I'm still :confused: TIA :)

I'm not certain what's going on either. A couple things that might help better understand what's going on

Watch your Networking Notification Icons
I believe there are 2 different notification icons: One for wireless and another for wired networks.
> Look at bottom right of screen for your notification icons
> click the up arrow then Customize
> Scroll to find both icons and set them both to Show icon and notifications
Now you should be able to hover your mouse over each icon and see the status of each network connection

Network And Sharing
Have a look at the Network and Sharing Center. Get familiar with what things look like when everything's working and connected... so you might notice changes when things don't work
@LookinAround , as requested, here it is Network & Sharing Center.JPG network.JPG

Hi @learninmypc

Were those snapshots taken near the same time? As the same to contradict one another (top one shows wireless connected, bottom says disconnected)..

But, regardless, as to your problem I only have same general suggestions you might try for this type of problem (don't recall if you did any of these yet earlier in thread)
  • Uninstall the wireless driver from Program and Features. Then reinstall the latest version you find on the vendor web site
  • Check the wireless router support site. Check if any firmware upgrades are available for your wireless router
  • Disable IPv6 on your computer. (I believe the only affect you'll see is Homegroups won't work - if you use them). But ipv6 seems to be problematic with some hardware so worth turning it off even if just to see if the problem goes away. Here's an MS fixit to do it for you. Use the simply the one called disable ipv6

Hi @learninmypc

Were those snapshots taken near the same time? As the same to contradict one another (top one shows wireless connected, bottom says disconnected)..

But, regardless, as to your problem I only have same general suggestions you might try for this type of problem (don't recall if you did any of these yet earlier in thread)
  • Uninstall the wireless driver from Program and Features. Then reinstall the latest version you find on the vendor web site
  • Check the wireless router support site. Check if any firmware upgrades are available for your wireless router
  • Disable IPv6 on your computer. (I believe the only affect you'll see is Homegroups won't work - if you use them). But ipv6 seems to be problematic with some hardware so worth turning it off even if just to see if the problem goes away. Here's an MS fixit to do it for you. Use the simply the one called disable ipv6
Ok, as stupid as this may sound, there are other computers on the same wi fi /DSL so will any of this affect the others? :) Not to mention it sounds greek to me but I'll try.

No such thing as a stupid question. We all ask questions. That's how we learn :)

fyi... The networking protocol version used for AGES (and still very prevalent) is simply referred to as IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4). IPv6 is the newer implementation being rolled out into the network world. But everything doesn't still all "play well" with ipv6. If you turn it off, the only thing it should affect on your PC is HomeGroups (if you happen to use Windows Homegroups). And if you don't know what HomeGroups are, you don't use it :)

No such thing as a stupid question. We all ask questions. That's how we learn :)

fyi... The networking protocol version used for AGES (and still very prevalent) is simply referred to as IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4). IPv6 is the newer implementation being pushed into the network world to be used. But everything doesn't still all "play well" with ipv6. If you turn it off, the only thing it should affect on your PC is HomeGroups (if you happen to use Windows Homegroups). And if you don't know what HomeGroups are, you don't use it :)
Ok & thanks & I forgot to say the first screen shot was taken a few weeks ago & the other one was taken a couple days ago.
I still think its weird how I can reboot & not be connected using the built in wifi, yet I put my USB wifi thingy in & get online & after a few minutes I can can remove it & still online with the built in. IMO that is odd.
Ok, since I'm not sure about HomeGroups, I can tell you I can see the other computer's on my pc. I don't connect to them,but I can see them.

Hi @learninmypc

fyi.. Bluetooth shouldn't be an issue. And I would guess the SmartWi Utility might include the driver. What's the model of your Sony so I can have a look at their support site for ya?

Back