Strange XP problem

By Martinez1708
Jun 15, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok, i was on my computer like normal. I've had it since 10/13/2007. now everything was going fine and i was playing Warcraft 3. Then the computer locks up on me and cant ctrl+alt+del. so i had to hard restart. now some how it rolled it self back the 10/13/07. my hard drives still have all program files and can access it directly from the HDD but all information on the start menu is gone
  2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Start by resetting the time:

Right click on clock> Adjust Date/Time> Time Zone tab> Make sure your correct Time Zone is set> check 'Automatically adjust time for Daylight Savings Time'> Internet Time tab> check 'automatically synchronize with internet time server'> copy this Time server and paste it in server box: tick.usno.navy.mil
    Click on Update now> Apply> OK.

If the time correction holds, you're okay. If not, it sounds like it's gone back to factory reset which would be why you're not seeing a full start menu.

You can also try doing a System Restore to date right before this happened. Let us know if corrections fix problems.
  3. Martinez1708

Martinez1708 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 22

got it thanks, what was happening is that i have two HDD's that both have XP on it but one had a missing boot file so it would always go and boot off the other, well i guess by some strange miracle it fixed itself and now it would boot directly off of it instead of the good HDD.
  4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Maybe a reboot cause the boot from the hard drive with the boot file on it!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.