Stuck "x" key

By Doug8765
Aug 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi -
    My wife's laptop has a sticky "x" key. If it was a laptop then I could switch in another keyboard. The key works, a little, but is quite annoying. Are there standard tricks to fixing this?

Thanks so much.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

a HAMMER ? :sigh: Sorry for the cheap joke at your expense, but this happens all the time with laptops.
    A roommate has the 'M' all over the place immediately upon logon (sometimes during messing up the pwd).

Plan on a trip to the PC Repair Shop :(
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,093   +223

Your question is worded incorrectly I believe. You say your wifes laptop has a sticky "x" key & then you say if it was a laptop. Do you mean its a desktop or ???
    If it is a desktop, wash it in the dishwasher
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,681   +153

Laptop keyboards can be washed in a dishwasher too, but they need more time to dry and they have to be removed and re-installed
  5. learninmypc

Tmagic650, thanks,good to know(y)
  6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,681   +153

You're welcome,
    laptop keyboards also have a plastic membrane or insulator that tends to hold water longer. Shaking both desktop and laptop keyboards is good thing to do to get the excess water out, then let them sit upside down on a cloth or paper towel for a day or two
  7. learninmypc

Thanks again.:)
  8. Doug8765

Doug8765 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 164

My wife has found that spell-check volunteers an 'x' when she needs one. If we're patient sooner or later we get an 'x'. My son suggests we add an external keyboard. Not read for that one, yet.

Thanks.

Doug
  9. cftade

cftade Newcomer, in training

You can go to buy an outlay keyboard.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.