Student wishes to purchase laptop

By BillAllen55
Apr 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'm a college student (58 years old). I'm in the market to purchase a moderately priced lap top. It needs to have windows 7, MS Word, Outlook, and excel. The system will not need a large hard drive. Will not need to have a high end video card. Initially I will be using the system only for my studies (no gaming) after graduation I would like it to be capable to make transition into a Master Automotive Technicians lifestyle complete with it being able to plug into vehicle OBD II scan tools. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to a good laptop?
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,410   +213

All ODB II scan tools are not the same. I don't have extensive knowledge of all of them but some will connect to PCs via USB while some use a serial port. I have a couple of Equus hand held OBD II scanners and they both connect to the PC with a serial connector. Many of the desktops I've built for myself have a serial port or have a serial (COM) port header on the mobo or can be fitted with one so that's not a problem for me but a laptop might be a different story. I would imagine not many have a serial port anymore but some might still. Of course, there are USB to serial port adapters available so that might be an option as well.

While I don't know enough about laptops to recommend one, just be aware of the different scan tool interfaces and buy your equipment accordingly.
  3. BillAllen55

BillAllen55 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 421

Laptop purchase

The scan tools I am/will be using will have the USB connection. Serial port scan tools are quickly fading. Thanks for your reply.
  4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,117   +23

What is your budget? I have found the Lenovo ThinkPad Edge to be a good system (bought two in the last four months) and they have just released their new E420 and E520 models.

In addition they are having a nice sale going on whereby you can have free upgrades to 4 gigs of memory and a 500 gig 7200 rpm haddrive without any additional cost. The offer ends 5/4.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.