TechSpot

Study: Filesharers spend 30% more on music than non-P2P users

By Matthew
Oct 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Despite being condemned as thieves by the recording industry, peer-to-peer users spend more money on music than non-filesharers, according to a new study by The American Assembly. Examining the music collection habits of respondents across the US and Germany, the...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,947   +381

Yea but the media corporations still want more money, doesnt change that.
    When is someone with some sort of moral standards or intelligence gonna rise up in these media companies?

3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 929   +106

Well we can never know, if anyone does try to rise above the current, make money, satisfy the consumer later policy. Because as soon as someone steps up, the higher ups likely just can the poor sucker.

4. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 215   +52

Chances of that? Very slim.. because ignorance breeds more ignorance in said companies. If only they would actually look at such studies, or actually do their own studies that are not biased. Problem is they'd rather take a biased stance on piracy, labeling it all as bad then let their death grip go.

They will silently admit people will do it legally when possible, but they don't want to openly admit such studies as this are true. Since it would mean everything from the past would crumble, at least in the normal sense they'd rather cling to old methods. Slap any piracy as bad and ruining an economy, then embrace it and see possible record sales skyrocket.

5. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

It's always interesting how this kind of information is obtained :p

6. I won't argue with this at all. Normaly I download high bit rate mp3's. If I like the album I'll buy it for the higher quality. I really wish I could give my money directly to the artists. I guess going to concerts is the best I can do

7. wujj123456

wujj123456 TS Rookie Posts: 29

That's obvious, right? They say "you don't download rain", but obvioulsy I don't buy rain either. Only people care enough will download, and they are the customers or potential customers of the industry. Screw them up? Good luck for your business. People's creativity has spreaded all over the world now thanks to the Internet. It's not like anyone can't live without MAFIAA. That's easy to understand, especially for those with a degree.

I have a feeling that it's just like the patent war, a drama created by lawyers where they feed each other. Nothing else.

8. I honestly think that there is no point in buying CD albums because you'd only end up liking one or two songs in first place.

9. grumpiman

grumpiman TS Rookie Posts: 19

Sounds like a flawed study to me. It's akin to saying that music lovers buy more music than casual music lovers. It does make you wonder how much more music they would have bought if they couldn't download it for free.

I'm not taking sides on the old P2P debate - just pointing out the obvious.

10. Divvet

Divvet TS Rookie Posts: 57   +19

What a lot of people miss the point on, is most the time people pirate music/video/game to see if they like it, if they do they go out and buy it. The amount of crap being produced from all these big companies is amazing, and the amount of times you go out and pay for something that is utter crap is incredible. So pirating to me is a way try before you buy.

11. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

It's true that most of the movies and music being marketed are utter crap aimed at the semi-literate majority in America, so of course it's dumbed down and crude. Most of the good music and movies were made a while back, and were already owned and paid for at some point - on albums, tapes, and CDs, on Betamax, VHS, or DVD, or through subscription - HBO, Cinemax, Sirius, XM, etc. Then there's broadcast radio and TV, which anyone is free to legally record for their own private use. The point being that the average person has paid a whole lot of money for various media and doesn't even have a backup copies, because they want us to pay every time we watch or listen to the same thing. I think that once you paid for something, you have the right to see or hear it again without paying again - call me crazy or not. So screw the pimp daddy mentality and let the artists with the actual talent make the lion's share of the money. It will be better for all involved except the vultures who feed off others' talent.

12. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Enthusiast Posts: 241   +31

13. Well makes sense to me, try before you buy

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.