Study finds cord-cutters are generally happy with their decision

Shawn Knight

Staff member

study

There’s been a ton of discussion as it relates to cord-cutters and their impact on pay-TV services but what happens after they make the switch? Are they happy with the decision or do they wish they’d kept paying for live services?

Fortunately we now have some answers courtesy of a new study from nScreenMedia called View My Video: Consumer Digital Media Consumption.

The study found that 84 perfect of cord-cutters are at least somewhat happy with their decision. Interestingly enough, 37 percent of those surveyed said they were so satisfied that they’ll never consider going back to a traditional pay-TV model.

Not everyone was happy with the decision, however. Roughly eight percent of cord-cutters said they were pretty unhappy with the experience thus far while nine percent said they disliked it so much that they wanted to return to cable television.

nScreenMedia surveyed 1,000 adults in the US with broadband access for the study. There are a few odd bits to point out about the study, however, like the fact that 10 percent of participants weren’t actually cord-cutters as they’d never subscribed to pay-TV services (such people are referred to as cord-nevers).

If nothing else, the study highlights the continued challenges that cable television operators face as alternative forms of content delivery continue to emerge and get better. It also proves that it could be incredibly difficult for traditional operators to try and win back cord-cutters after the fact.

Permalink to story.

I do not have cable in my house. I only have internet. Everything that I can watch on TV, I can probably find it for free on the Internet. Cable is way to expensive.

INTERNET MOVEMENT !!!!!!!!

lmao =D

Well of course they said they were happy with the decision. Take any survey and people will usually say they were happy with any decision they made. It's called Choice-Supported Bias. It's the tendency for people to think something is better because they chose it. It's the reason people have Xbox Ones say it's the best and people who have PS4s say it's the best.

Looking at my ballooning cable/internet bill in addition to the fact I'm lucky if I watch cable TV once in a week nowadays... there really is not any reason to keep cable anymore. I might not even subscribe to Hulu or Netflix if I cut off cable TV even... I guess I either keep myself better occupied, or I sleep when I'm bored. I'm sure I'd probably keep it if I was not the only one even considering on keeping it, but the variable pricing scheme is close to predatory.

Dear Comcast, your data rates/cost suck, your bandwidth caps suck, your hardware sucks, your customer service sucks, and I only drop the name to deride the company or to threaten other companies (like I will have to for Verizon in the coming week or two)

Dear Verizon, your pricing almost makes Comcast seem like an alternative, thanks for doubling the bill in less than 2 months. You'll be hearing from me soon.

Dear Google, I try to use your services limitedly, but if you bring Fiber to the DC metropolitan area, I will switch in half a heartbeat for cable and internet, and will even use your other services more.

Dear AT&T, if your prices are not too much more than Google's pricing for cable/internet, I'll even change my cellular service to you.

Well of course they said they were happy with the decision. Take any survey and people will usually say they were happy with any decision they made. It's called Choice-Supported Bias. It's the tendency for people to think something is better because they chose it. It's the reason people have Xbox Ones say it's the best and people who have PS4s say it's the best.
Exactly what I would've said but more succinctly.

How about they quantify that survey with showing the percentage of those cord-cutters who are NOT sports fans. Because you can't get 90% of sports programming without a cable/satellite connection.

If I didn't need my fix of sports (especially football), I would have cut the cord years ago.

My $0.02 -

Because of the region that I live in and the fact that Dish had a run in with MSG Network, Dish cut local sports for any subscriber who's local sports network would have been MSG - AND - they continued to charge such subscribers the full price for the package even though they were not fulfilling their end of the bargain. So, all of us affected Dish subscribers were subsidizing other Dish subscribers IMHO because of this. That said, my primary sport is hockey, and I watch virtually no other sports on TV. For me, if I wanted to, I could subscribe to NHL.com and get more hockey than I know what to do with.

That said, my wife and I cut the cable about three months ago. We are using a mix of OTA and Internet including Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes, and if something goes awry with our OTA recordings, sites like NBC.com or ABC.com or the like.

Now you could say that just because we made that decision, we are happy with it. However, I have to disagree that that is sound reasoning in our case simply because of the fact that we were paying $87/mo for Dish plus our internet connection at $41.95 / mo (Earthlink over cable).

Now, however, we get Hulu+ for free with Bing Points, Netflix at $8/mo, Amazon at the Student rate (since I am pursuing a degree at a local university) and my wife subscribes to a show on iTunes for $4 / mo, and 15 MB Earthlink for $34.95 / mo. Our TV total comes to $16 / mo. I'm not counting the internet because we would have it anyway. So, the drop from $87/mo to $16/mo is substantial, IMHO, basically we are paying less than 20% of what we were paying.

I did build an A10-7850K system, Win 8.1, MediaPortal, and a BR burner so that we can both watch BR discs and, if we want, archive things to disc. Up front, the cost of all the hardware (including OTA tuners, a nice HTPC case seasonic supply, etc.) was about $1,500 which will pay for itself over time.

Because there is a wide variety of viewing material out there, we still cannot find the time to watch everything that we would like to watch - much as it was when we subscribed to Dish.

So, for what I consider valid reasons other than "we made the decision ourselves," mainly that we are not paying $87 / mo for a large amount of things we were never watching (instead, we are only paying $16/mo for a large amount of things we are never watching :) ), we are very happy with what we have now to the point of we will never return to the traditional pay TV model of our own free will.

So, I'm not buying the argument of we like it because we decided to do it. To me, that would be like having a really bad smell in the area and saying you do not mind it because you are holding your nose. We decided to cut the cord based on economic considerations, and we were reluctant to do so since we had no idea whether we would be able to find all the programming we wanted or could substitute for other programming we watch. We cut the cord anyway, and we are both very satisfied with our decision.

I'm not a sports fan, and I hate reality/talk-shows with a passion. I like movies and series of various kinds, and I have absolutely no need for cable or satellite TV to get my fix. I "cut the cord" back in 2003. This was long before streaming services like Netflix were available. I kept busy with online gaming and I bought DVDs to satisfy my need for passive entertainment. With all the streaming services and everything else the internet has to offer today, I really don't understand why people cling to the old ways. I guess the sports factor is a big one. I guess it's time for sports to catch up with the modern day.

Whenever I'm at a friend's house, I've noticed how their heads are transfixed on the TV, no matter what's on. If the TV is off, they're acting like they've got ADHD. I've tried to sit and watch through some shows with them now and again, and I'm simply amazed at the amount of commercials. There's like 3-4 commercial breaks in a 20 minute long episode of The Simpsons. It's unbearable! I have a fit every single time it happens.

TV costs too much. They're forcing us to pay for all kinds of crap we don't want just so that we can get what we actually want. Netflix is cheap and you get to watch what you want when you want, without commercial interruption. TV can't compete. It's dying, and good riddance.

How about they quantify that survey with showing the percentage of those cord-cutters who are NOT sports fans. Because you can't get 90% of sports programming without a cable/satellite connection.

If I didn't need my fix of sports (especially football), I would have cut the cord years ago.
With pro football it's not so bad since Monday Night Football is simulcast on a local OTA channel in HD when the local team plays and everything else is on broadcast channels except Thursday night football.

The situation with college football is awful though since it's mostly on ESPN and my alma mater is rarely on broadcast so to watch them I'd have to get an even more expensive cable package with the regional sports channel(s) that carry the games.

But beyond that, cutting the cord has been just fine.

I finally cut the cable so to say with Comcast. Got my last bill and again $165. I have no pay channels but I do have the HD DVR $20 rental fee and 3 digital boxes $9 rental fee and modem $8 rental fee. I got rid of everything but Internet which I got the cheapest services @ 6mb for $49.95.

I like watching educational shows, Discovery, History Channel, NatGeo etc. Plus Football. I have an antenna in my attic and I pick up all the local TV channels in HD. Plus any live spots broadcast on my local stations are free. I got a Roku 3 and subscribed to Netflix and Aereo (Aereo is like a DVR for local stations) Both of these streaming services are $9 each.

So for $60 a month I got pretty much everything I want,, I'm sure I'm loosing stuff that I haven't figured out yet but all in all it was worth the $1200 a year I'm saving.

With that said I can tell you is I like the decision I made all though cable TV is much easier to use. And easier to find what I want to watch. Picture quality is about the same with Roku and OTA service as cable was. Would I go back to Cable TV? Only if My internet and TV service was under $100 a month which that will never happen. Plus I was paying so much for mostly stuff I never watched.

So am I happy with my decision? Yes and no. I like the money I'm saving and I'm watching Less TV. But I do miss the simplicity of Cable TV.

There is no way in hell I'd agree to give those people money for anything besides an internet connection EVER again.

Im watching tv whole 20 min per day, 10 min during breakfast and 10 min during supper, should drop that tv watching habit

I seriously think that if you know you way around the internet you really don't need a cable box. I have my computer hooked up to my TV. All of the shows that you can possibly think of and even ones you can't I can watch online. I even watch old school bugs bunny cartoons when I am feeling nostalgic.

I think having a cable box is a waste of time and money.

I pay about $50 buck for internet. If you want a cable box and you want it cheap from them you have to get something called the triple play which includes Cable, Internet and a phone number. That price is about $100.00 bucks but then It jumps up to normal pricing after a year. If you get all of the promotional movie and sports packages the price goes up to $200.00+ a month. Its ridiculous. If you have a cell phone and take care of it there is no need to have a house phone anymore.

Like I said before it is a waste of time and money. Save yourselves some cash guys.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is to watch live sports, but for that I can go to a friends house or to a sports bar. Its more fun to watch it that way anyway.

...[ ]....If I didn't need my fix of sports (especially football), I would have cut the cord years ago.
I see a business opportunity here in the health care sector. Open a bunch of sports addiction rehab clinics.What you save on your cable bill, could be applied to your treatment program.

Me, no such problem. I'm massively pissed that CBS is going with, "Thursday Night Football", instead of my favorite process dramas.

As for "Keeping up with the Kardashians". What's the mystery there? You know Kim's caboose will be an inch bigger and a pound heavier, next week, same time, same cable channel. They should change the name of the show to, "Keeping up with Kim's Expansian" Hell, she's starting to make 21:9 aspect ration screens almost mandatory. OK, cue camera 2....... Kim, step away from the feedbag.

Now tell me, I need cable why exactly?:confused:

I just canceled my cable 2 days ago... let's see how I do. I don't really watch that much TV but I do sleep with it on every night and I can't sleep if it's not on.

I just canceled my cable 2 days ago... let's see how I do. I don't really watch that much TV but I do sleep with it on every night and I can't sleep if it's not on.
That's sort of a bizarre analogy of the puppy, with a hot water bottle, and an alarm clock.

Is your quality of sleep dependent on program content or could it be any old infomercial?

You also might try a small amount of any fast acting benzodiazipine to put you down, and a couple of Benadryl caplets to keep you down.;)

Last edited:
Well times were tough for me the past 6-7 months, I had to cut all cords, cable, internet, and my cell phone. Now with a tracfone (thankfully still a android smartphone now) I can get some internet if I need. When I am at work we have free wifi there and some places around town have free wifi as well, plus I can can hack around 40% of the networks I find (thanks WPS). But the big thing I did was start ripping my dvds and friends and families dvd's until I had a pretty good sized collection. Found tons of programming available for free on youtube as well. But times are a bit better, more money again, access to home internet again, so I am back to netflix and using Charter account to get ESPN 3. The thing I think most people have yet to fully realize about the internet is just how much free, and legal for you (as long as your not stealing it), content there is to entertain yourself. The lack of good options for sports definitely does suck, I listened to most of the seahawks games over internet radio, and was luckily able to watch the superbowl over the live stream at work on the wifi. I know the nfl is thinking about taking there NFL access package and making it a stream service, no longer just a direct tv thing. Have like roku and apple add it to there set top boxes.

I cut the cord over 5 years ago. The best thing I ever did. Want to see whats wrong with America? Look at daytime TV.

Back