Study: Internet trolls are drunk with power

By Matthew
Jun 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. You've undoubtedly heard the old Lord Acton quote, "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Apparently, it doesn't really matter how that power is derived, and Internet trolls are drunkā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,228   +314

They forgot one thing - they should have put the word "Guest" on the guy's shirt. ;-)
  3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875   +93

Agreed. That's why I logged in to post this. On the topic its not hard to find someone or recall a situation that involved being mocked or ridiculed for little to no reason. Sometimes for as little as question someones advice can result in a vicious bashing, this never ends well. Also there's times you just have to recognize the actions of a troll and drive them into insanity (or so you would hope) by egging them on repeatedly. Fighting a troll by being a troll, its the only way sometimes.
  4. Muggs

Muggs Newcomer, in training Posts: 56

I have always said that the warm snugly anonymity of the internet brings out the best in people. Good to see there are actually people studying this :)
  5. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Trolls can be funny at times, some of their comments can be good for a laugh
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,000   +710

Well, this is hardly "new business". The human psyche has been at the mercy of its machines for decades. The most salient example of this type of behaviour, is when people get behind the wheel of a car. A 100 lb woman is now the equal of a 250 pound man, and both are 20 times as big as they were before they slammed the SUV door. Latent aggression becomes salient and can escalate all the way to "road rage. It's like the car is now doing the thinking, and using its reptile brain to do it.

Theories like this have been around for decades, and this is a retread applied to internet behaviour.

What does impress me, is how people can still manage to obtain grant money to facilitate lounging around, puffing weed, and thinking they're onto something.

The way to deal with trolls is to remove their posts.(1*) That squelches their voice. End of influence, end of visibility, end of trolling. If the individual is too profoundly affected by this setback, another outlet could be found. My suggestion would be either masturbating or blowing one's brains out. A truly disturbed troll might try blowing his brains out while masturbating.

I actually do have a question about this, are "internet trolls" more likely to be male or female. Wait! I think I know this one, male! Send me a check.

(*1) You've been doing that for years, you savvy devils.
  7. ^^^^ Who do you think you are??? Trolls are people too.
  8. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 761   +178

A full on article about forum/internet trolls?
    Guess it was going to happen sometime.
  9. captaincranky

Thanks for stopping by to point out the patently obvious. Unless of course, this was posted by a typing chimpanzee.
  10. it's like looking in a mirror
  11. captaincranky

And Narcissus shares his thoughts with us.
  12. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 195

+1/thumbs up/agree
    Trolls have no sense of social anything, meaning that even trying to end an argument is impossible and Trolls will start an argument over absolutely nothing.
    I enjoy the internet except on days I cross paths with Trolls.
  13. supportme

supportme Newcomer, in training Posts: 36

Now what do u call a person who logs in to post extreme views instead of doing it anonymously.....

14. captaincranky

Oh goody, a quiz to go along with the study....:rolleyes:
  15. You call them an extremist... For they wish for everyone to see their name and join some sort of crazy internet clan to be extremists together.
  16. stewi0001

stewi0001 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 273

They forgot the mention that most of them are under the age of 16
  17. captaincranky

Now see, this post could have been much improved in impact and credibility by inserting the word, "verily". To wit, "For verily they wish that everyone would seest their name, and wouldst joinest together, to celebrate the coming rapture of the troll mothership.

That's a week from today. Be there or be square!

See, told ya. It's almost biblical, isn't it?
  18. insect

insect TechSpot Booster Posts: 143   +28

A B**ch. Forum ***** is acceptable also.
  19. The most attitude i see here come from the people with accounts, not the guests.
  20. Five posts already cranky? Damn.
  21. aj_the_kidd

explains allot
  22. aj_the_kidd

When you constantly deal with trolls it becomes very annoying, as this is a forum about trolls we are simply expressing our discontent for them.
  23. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,119   +51

TROLL NEEDZ FOOOOOOD!

Yes, it becomes annoying to reply to guests when you have no idea which is who =/ And well... haters will always hate cof cof wontsaynamebutyouknowwho cof cof (Normally comes out whenever A_D is mentioned).
  24. captaincranky

Post 6

If this was about Apple troll it would have been ten, I know. I'll try to do better.

BTW, is my posting frequency actually any of your business?

You've apparently only been reading the guest comments you choose to. Besides, the real meaty "guest" comments usually get pulled down within minutes.

How many times am I going to have to tell you, nobody here speaks "Kibaruk" as a second language.
  25. Come one captaincranky, this article resembles a little part of your heart. It shows in the frequency of your posts and interest in this particular article. ;) Come on, just say "IM A TROLL"!!!!! BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.