TechSpot

Study: Mobile users are half as likely to click on ads

By Matthew
Sep 17, 2009
  1. According to a study by Chitika, mobile users are about half as likely to click on advertisements as non-mobile users. The research was based on a sample of 92 million impressions, of which only 1.3 million (1.5%) came from mobile platforms. The advertising network found that handsets only have a click-through rate of .48% -- as compared to the steady .83% seen from non-mobile activity.

Read the whole story

2. Punkid

Punkid TS Guru Posts: 421

this is really stange

3. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 548   +8

well, it costs more to view pages on ur mobile/cell/smart phone, so it makes sence, I don't want to waiste any of my 512M/B mobile limit on an advert unless it really interests me!, if there was a way to block adds, saving bandwidth on mobile, I would!

4. Funkmesideways

Funkmesideways TS Rookie

And its also so much more fiddly. If I were to use the internet on my phone, it would be for necessity and I'd want to get to what I want and wouldn't mess around with anything else while I'm there. Whereas when on the desktop, I'm mostly just relaxing.

5. JudaZ

JudaZ TS Enthusiast Posts: 284

well.. duh .. of course, did they have to make a survey to find that out?
    Most people still dont have free data transfers on their phones, so they could possibly face a huge phone bill if they started clicking on ad's as well . Ad's usually leading to sites with data heavy graphic content ... . . potentsially paying a lot to watch an ad for something you dont want to buy ...
    some companies you have to pay $2/MB so can get expencive very quick

6. Twister123

Twister123 TS Rookie Posts: 219

$2 a MB thats expensive , I can get 50 MB usage for 99c

7. Stonos

Stonos TS Rookie Posts: 29

Don't forget that many ads these days are unfortunately Flash-based (unfortunately because they can use lots of resources) and that many phones don't support Flash (including iPhone afaik).
    But I'm not sure if the ads fall back to a non-Flash version if Flash isn't available?

8. When i'm using mobile internet, i'm usually searching for something specific. If i'm killing time, i watch movie clips or something on youtube - banner ads on mobile seem like a good idea for companies trying to sell advertising, but from my point of view as a user - it will never work. Keep ads of my mobile, or if you have something you're sure i'm gonna be interested in, message me.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.