Study: Mobile users are half as likely to click on ads

By Matthew
Sep 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. According to a study by Chitika, mobile users are about half as likely to click on advertisements as non-mobile users. The research was based on a sample of 92 million impressions, of which only 1.3 million (1.5%) came from mobile platforms. The advertising network found that handsets only have a click-through rate of .48% -- as compared to the steady .83% seen from non-mobile activity.

Read the whole story
  2. Punkid

Punkid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 540

this is really stange
  3. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 529

well, it costs more to view pages on ur mobile/cell/smart phone, so it makes sence, I don't want to waiste any of my 512M/B mobile limit on an advert unless it really interests me!, if there was a way to block adds, saving bandwidth on mobile, I would!
  4. Funkmesideways

Funkmesideways Newcomer, in training

And its also so much more fiddly. If I were to use the internet on my phone, it would be for necessity and I'd want to get to what I want and wouldn't mess around with anything else while I'm there. Whereas when on the desktop, I'm mostly just relaxing.
  5. JudaZ

JudaZ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 292

well.. duh .. of course, did they have to make a survey to find that out?
    Most people still dont have free data transfers on their phones, so they could possibly face a huge phone bill if they started clicking on ad's as well . Ad's usually leading to sites with data heavy graphic content ... . . potentsially paying a lot to watch an ad for something you dont want to buy ...
    some companies you have to pay $2/MB so can get expencive very quick
  6. Twister123

Twister123 Newcomer, in training Posts: 219

$2 a MB thats expensive , I can get 50 MB usage for 99c
  7. Stonos

Stonos Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

Don't forget that many ads these days are unfortunately Flash-based (unfortunately because they can use lots of resources) and that many phones don't support Flash (including iPhone afaik).
    But I'm not sure if the ads fall back to a non-Flash version if Flash isn't available?
  8. When i'm using mobile internet, i'm usually searching for something specific. If i'm killing time, i watch movie clips or something on youtube - banner ads on mobile seem like a good idea for companies trying to sell advertising, but from my point of view as a user - it will never work. Keep ads of my mobile, or if you have something you're sure i'm gonna be interested in, message me.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.