TechSpot

Study: T-Mobile offers fastest 3G, AT&T has quickest 4G

By Matthew
Apr 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Wondering which wireless carrier has the fastest network? PCWorld set out to answer that question, testing several handsets indoors and outdoors across Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, Los...

Read the whole story
  2. SCJake

SCJake TS Rookie Posts: 80

"PCWorld concluded that Sprint has stopped developing its networks while looking to shift 4G from WiMax to LTE"

Now im no expert on how the wireless broadcasting technology is actually engineered, but you would think thats kinda a duh? why continue to develop a technology that you're looking at dumping? its called a moneypit for a reason
  3. To me personally, the study is kind of in the side of error for the 4G speeds. AT&T was the last if near last company to make an effort to roll out 4G. As such, they don't have many customers on it as let's say Verizon Wireless & T-Mobile. Therefore, the download speeds will be higher when you're not having to cut the bandwidth down due to hundreds to thousands of other users fighting for the same bandwidth.
  4. Moneypit or not, every decent company, regardless of what their plans for the future should support the existing customer base until they migrate to a new technology as best as they can. Once a customer leaves a company it is unlikely that they will ever come back.
  5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 850   +218

I can't believe T-Mobile and Sprint are still in business.
  6. CrisisDog

CrisisDog TS Rookie Posts: 48

Yay T-Mobile! Does this mean I should dig my Samsung Vibrant out of the junk drawer?
  7. I've been with sprint (charter member) for 15 years...

I've owned a 4G phone for 18 months in a major metro area and still have no 4G service. Not only that, but my service has worsened over the last 2 years and every webpage takes more than a minute.

This weekend I am moving to Verizon & getting a cheap Lucid phone until >uly & going wp7 phone.

Dan Heiss (sp?) Phookered up Sprint.. instead of crying in front of Congress over the merger, he should've been spending Billions building out his network, not paying Apple...

Goodbye Sprint.....
  8. This article is absolutely irrelevant unless you live in a major metropolitan area.
    Try T-Mobile in a rural area. Like, Indiana or Kansas. I had to call 911 three times before finally giving up and using my friend's Verizon phone. T-mobile's service SUCKs.
  9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,069   +704

Thanks for writing that out, Guest, so I didn't have to. Sprint actually has 4G in milwaukee now... It doesn't stay connected for more than a minute or two, and is only around .75 MB/s, but it's there. Even in Chicago 4G doesn't stay connected.

Sprint's 4G is slower than (and the same as) some other's 3G. Here I used to the think Apple was crazy for not including 4G, but really 3G is just fine for many many people.

The only thing lower than Sprint's download speed is it's share price.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.