Stumped...

Zirotek

Ok, so it's taken me a while to narrow down this problem but I finally discovered that for some reason, randomly, my Samsung T.V. (PS58C7000) when turned on somehow drops my internet connection causing a DNS error,

This is where it gets weird though... my tv isn't connected to the network. I haven't figured what it is that causes my tv to issue these DNS errors but like I said at times I turn on my TV and the DNS is unable to be resolved (Using OpenDNS) on my router (Netgear DG834G).but when I turn my TV off the problem is fixed almost instantaneously.

The TV can only be connected to the network by A Wired connection from it to the router. I have my PS3 and PC connected to the TV but NO ethernet cable connecting the TV to the router. It really comes down to a game of chance when I turn on my TV weather it will screw up my internet connection or not but as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't be doing this.... Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

That IS very weird if there's no LAN cable! :confused: A couple thoughts

Your Netgear supports wireless. So does your Samsung. Any chance it's making a wireless connection your router??? (is your wireless network unsecured?? Try turning off wireless on the Netgear)

No I thought that might be the problem too but the only way that the tv can connect to the router wirelessly is by attaching a wireless adapter (to the tv) after you purchase it.

I thought it might have something to do with the computer sharing internet connection (ICS) but after browsing throught my network centre there doesnt seem to be an ICS tab in the network settings (windows 7 home premium) like there was in previous versions of windows (I.e Vista)

The network is secured with WPA2-PSK so even for the tv to connect I would have to enter the password.

The internet might work fine for a week then (like today) drop out from anywhere between 1-24 hours at any time i turn on my tv. Then magically when i turn my tv on it will be working again... its a game of chance and waiting. But even after looking into my router settings through an internet browser it is not detecting any kind of connectivity with the tv either by LAN or wireless...

Weird. When you say you turn on the TV, is it just the TV or TV & cable box? My folks has FiOS, and the set-top box is connected to the router and has an IP address. Maybe if you have a STB, and when it's turned on, somehow it's messing up the network?

The type of Samsung TV I have has an inbuilt set-top box. The Tv is currently standing alone. (I.e. It is not connected to any aerials or antennas. only to my ps3 via HDMI and to my PC via VGA) other than that there are no connections)

If the router were picking up something from the tv, it would register in the routers config and appear as an "unknown device" (or equivalent) when going into admin setting from the browser (i.e typing in 192.168.0.1 from a web browser and entering username/password combo). But for the router to even acknowledge the wireless signal the tv would have to be setup with the encryption standard the router uses and the password. Or so i believe ...

The last two posts were sent from my other compute with my tv turned off... this post has been sent via the problem tv/comp combo as it just started working again.. I cant figure out what trigegrs the DNS shutdown as I havent edited or changed anything on eitehr computer, router or the tv. Like I said.. it just decides on its own when it wants to work (and thats really starting to tick me off)

Back