Stupid Question about Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before am new in computers stuff and I don't know very well english so

basically what are the Slots?aren't the ports?I mean they are like the ports aren't they?
and like the last question how many types?and what is better (if there are)

am so sorry about my ..yeah I know sometimes silly questions but am curious and usually I don't find the answers on Google :eek:

thx again!

In general, "ports" describe cable connections on your computer, e.g.
=> RJ11 - is a simple telephone line connector
=> RJ45 - are for network cable connections (they look similar in shape but are slightly larger then RJ11 ports if you look at / compare the two closely)
=> USB - are, of course, to connect your USB cables
=> Firewire/1394 are for IEEE 1394 (also called "Firewire") cables

"Slots" on the other describe types of connections for circuit boards, e.g
=> PCMCIA slots are for those credit card size devices that your computer might allow you to just slide into the PCMCIA slot
=> You also find different types of "slots" on your motherboard to accomodate different types of boards (e.g. memory and controller boards)

You will have slots for...

Memory (RAM)

Video Card slots - depending on the motherboard design and how old they are ranging from ISA to PCI to AGP to PCI-Express, etc. PCI-Express has two versions and it is the latest and greatest at the moment which means your motherboard must have a PCI-E slot if you want the latest video cards for your system. The others have been phased out though you can still find some cards of all kinds.

There are PCI slots for sound cards, older video cards, USB and firewire cards.

There are PCIx1 slots for newer sound and firewire cards.

Does this help answer your question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back