Stuttering/Latency Issues/Freezes

My computer stutters (especially on boot and in games like CS:GO). I ran bunch of tests that didn't determine much, so I thought it might be a hardware issue. My problematic drivers appear to be the NVIDIA kernel driver, NDIS, and the ntoskrnl drivers. I tested this with LatencyMon and when I did a clean boot it was even worse; I get stutters in games and freezes after booting up.

My specs:

CPU - I7-8086k (i7-8700k)GPU - 1080TIPSU - 750W PlatinumMotherboard - Asus z370-fCooling - Corsair H115i RAM - Corsair 16 GB Vengeance 3600mhz SSD - NVME M.2 970 EVO

All drivers are from Asus and are up to date. I also use the Nvidia driver 430.64 because it works better for me than the newest one.

I bought an MX500 SATA SSD because I thought my M.2 wasn't working; tested my RAM several times with different tools; tested my CPU with Prime95 and also did UserBenchmark and 3DMark a while back; I also brought the PC to my local computer shop and had it tested and reassembled. They said it ran fine - not sure I believe them though because I showed them the stutter in their store...

My PC has many different symptoms:

1. Stutter when a game launches and throughout the play session.

2. On bootup it freezes for 1 second in the beginning.

3. This happens when I open programs like Faceit AC or Teamspeak.

4. If I have Chrome open with a YouTube video on my second monitor and then launch CS:GO, my second monitor would freeze until the game started. I would still get the audio from the YouTube video, but the FPS would drop significantly.

5. When I enter BIOS my PC goes into an infinite loop of restarting and shutting down immediately - it will boot and then the power will just cut off. This will go on until I power down my PC and start it normally.

6. My BIOS is extremely laggy; when I click a tab (like Advanced Settings) the pictures freezes for 1 sec.
I tested four games with these results:

CS:GO - Stutter in the beginning and sometimes my client-side VAR jumps to 2-3 and there is some input delay.Minecraft - At launch I get insane stutter and then just occasionally. The mouse movement is a lot more choppy than in CS:GO.League of Legends - I get a little bit of stutter when opening the shop for the first time.PUBG - INSANE STUTTER when first going into a match. Getting better with occasional stutter later on.I also get some weird lightning effects when running Heaven Benchmark on the buildings etc.

Things I've tried:

Changed graphics card to my old GTX 970 - no changeTried different monitor - no changeChanged from DLAN to an ethernet cable which is literally 20m long.Reset WindowsReset and updated BIOS

I am at a point where I am pretty sure that my problem is hardware related or something is really messed up inside my PC.

I downloaded two programs WhySoSlow and LatencyMon:In WhySoSlow the issue is Kernel Latency and real time capabilities. It can hit up to 4ms

In LatencyMon the drivers above 2ms are NVIDIA kernel driver, NDIS and the ntoskrnl drivers. Whenever the NVIDIA kernel driver hits above 2ms the interrupt to process latency goes up as well. NDIS only appeared when I did a clean boot; and ntoskrnl only appears when I don't run any games. LatencyMon light example.

I bought a z390-E motherboard from Asus now and when it arrives I will test if the lag still occurs; if it does I´ll have to buy another PC - so if any of you have any good ideas or know what else it might be please let me know.

Thanks for the help :)

Reference: LatencyMon

I hope you have resolved your problem..
I was just re-reading your description and this time "When I enter BIOS my PC goes into an infinite loop of restarting and shutting down" stood out.

You also said "I also brought the PC to my local computer shop and had it tested and reassembled. They said it ran fine - not sure I believe them though because I showed them the stutter in their store..."

Did you show them the BIOS boot loop?

My guess based on this element of your description is that there is a corruption in the BIOS.

LennartS, I have something very similar with flickering and rapid changes all around , etc....then I found out it does this ONLY in one corner of my studio apartment. I had to move it to my kitchen table and it works perfectly there, but, this new corner is extremely uncomfortable and inconvenient to me. Perhaps you should try moving your computer to another spot? If only as a test?

Someone told me that it could be a magnetic field in that corner. If you try and find that you also have this thing, would you be so awfully kind as to let me know if you did something about it and if it helped at all and then tell me how to do the same? I told this terrible problem to so many techies and no one came up with a solution.

Just an idea for you. I hope you find a real solution to your problem. :)

Thank you so much Cyclod, I asked my building's maintenance guy if he could have a test done for a bad ground and improperly wired outlet, as you so kindly suggested, and he said he'll have a man test my electrical power. Is this the test I need?

If maintenance test isn't what I need, I wish I understood what Amazon is selling to make this test. Could you help a little more by suggesting which one to buy?

As to your sentence: "...mostly for cathode ray tubes which use magnets to guide the electron beam inside the picture tube." unfortunately I'm so ignorant about the internal computer going ons, but I wonder if my newly purchased laptop has cathode ray tubes? I this problem started on my old Dell desktop (since around the last 2 or 3 years ago) so I bought this laptop thinking it would help but of course it didn't.

Thanks ever so much for your good suggestions! :)

Thank you very much for recommending a tester which I'm going to buy, Will this tester tell me whether there's something wrong in my electrical wiring in that corner? And is it different from maintenance checking the electrical power as they told me they'll do?

You helped me a lot by suggesting to test the electrical wiring in that corner and what tester to buy for which thanks a lot again! :)

"And is it different from maintenance checking the electrical power as they told me they'll do?" They will check more thoroughly - experience matters. Tester might disclose issue, but experienced technician is better.

In my case it was with an early IBM system (something called an 'XT') which blipped out 3-4 times a week. It was located in a 'module', with woven cloth trim. After several weeks of this, I finally correlated the interruptions with the secretary going past the module. Since she liked silk (or something similar), she created a lot of static as she brushed by (this suited her personality too). After that detecting the wiring fault and fixing it was trivial.

Oh how funny about your experience finding out the cause of the interference by a secretary's garment! It was very clever of you to discover it as causes, many times, are very difficult to detect. After you fixed it was she able to continue wearing her favorite fabric? :)

You're so right that maintenance may be able to detect something and it never hurts to use another test like the one you recommended. I'll let you know what they find if any.

Thanks so much for all your help!!! :)

She took it all as exoneration and continued to wear whatever it seemed that the day called for. She remained happy with her Selectric for many years - regarding PCs as lesser beings.

LOL...she sounds as tech backwards as I am though I may still redeem myself even at my ripe old age... lol!

Back