TechSpot

Subscribe button brings Google+ and Twitter model to Facebook

By lawfer
Sep 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this feature specifically useful to follow celebrities? If so, most--if not all--celebrities, and even organizations, already have fan pages which you can like, and subsequently follow.

Now, if I want to follow somebody who is not precisely a celebrity, but somebody of interest--as the feature suggests will make "easier" for you--then what is difference between simply befriend them or "subscribe" them? Granted, there's a slight difference because of the long overdue filtering features (which are, in reality, intrinsically unrelated features to Subscribe), but please, Facebook, don't act as if people already don't have "friends" they have never even met on their friend list.

I presume if you try to subscribe to somebody, that person will have to approve such subscription, correct? Then, what am I trying to get at, you say? That this is just a "Like 1.5". Nothing really groundbreaking. (Not that such thing was implied, I'm just saying...)

2. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 168

Hey lawfer:

Yeah, I agree. The whole thing just calls to mind, for me anyway, how anyone who is important already has a web site anyway. Why anyone needs Twitter is beyond me. I have a Twitter account that I never use. I used to have a My____ account that I deleted.

I just don't care that much. Even if I WERE that huge, I would have better things to do than to sit around "twittering" or "twexting" or whatever the heck it is... (see how old I am...)?!

:D

3. lakawak

lakawak TS Rookie

How is this a "Google+" model when it is SOLELY a copy of Twitter?

Google+ didn't do ANYTHING new. So no...it is not a Google+ model

4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,272   +91

Why do my posts keep getting mysteriously deleted, huh? Why is there no follow-up notification regarding moderation, if any?

Either the site needs some technical maintenance, or a staff check up.

5. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Same thing happens to me. I guess our posts are growing legs and running away.

6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,583   +104

"excluding game updates from another"

:)

7. Ghost Fire

Ghost Fire TS Rookie

I actually use Twitter to follow information that I'm interested such as things relating to gaming or sports. I by no means use Twitter as a way to communicate my frequent useless thoughts or how big of a dump I took this afternoon. People like that need to get out more. Twitter does have it's uses though. The only time I tweet or retweet is to refer information to friends that I feel they might be interested in.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.