Sucessfully connected New Laptop to router - Still can't access internet

By The Spartan Don
Dec 19, 2008
  1. I've just got a New Laptop (for Christmas) So I tried to connect to the Internet...

At first I tried to connect it Wirelessly to my Router. The Laptop found my Router so I type in my WPA/WEP Key and I've sucessfully connected, it even said my connection was 'Excellent' and the Signal bar was full.

So when I click on Internet Explorer it gives me the 'Internet Explorer cannot display this Webpage' and when I try and then tells me the problem cannot be automatically repaired when I dianogse (excuse my spelling) the problem. I then directly connected it through an Ethernet Cable with the same results...

To be honest I think it's the Vista software blocking me from the Internet, I've had no problems connecting PC's with XP to the internet before.

Please help
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Remove and reinstall all your drivers for the router or modem, then reinstall your WPA codes. Also check to be sure that has not been a firmware upgrade to the router.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,158   +599

Unless you are connected to the router using a USB connection, there is no software for the router (it's pure TCP off the NIC connection).

Vista network has a new Network Wizard and settings described here

You should FIRST use a wired connection to the router to insure the correct TCP and firewall settings for Internet access. After that, your wireless will much easier to configure successfully.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.