Suddenly a 'log onto windows screen' pops up, How do I get rid of?

Ural_

Ok so I've pulled out an old computer I had lying around, its worked fine in the past, was working fine now, I was installing a wireless card onto it, when it finished installation and rebooted, I got the 'Log onto Windows' screen..

I have no login for this computer!

Some Specs for it are,

Intel Pentium IV - 2.8GHz
Windows XP- Not sure what service pack
40Gb Harddrive- Yes I know quite an old computer
Stock PSU

Not much more I know about the thing, I don't expect much for a $20 computer, but Ive never encountered such an odd problem before, I can't get through to my Desktop, the screen was totally unexpected. Any ideas?

maybe the setup installed .net framework and created a support account - this causes in some cases for windows not to log on the current account it was on but present a splash screen for logon

boot in safemode (spam F8 for boot menu at boot, before the windows logo )

check your account settings in safemode. depending on how it was installed, your Administrator account could be active, available in safemode for logon and have a blank password as well.

if only the splash screen is the problem and you can access your account, then you can delete the ASP account newly added in the user accounts list.

Hey there, thanks for the info, the problem solved itself.. somehow, has a mind of its own.

I rebooted a few more times after the problem occurred and the screen disappeared.. odd, but ill know what to do if it does occur again, thanks :)

Back