TechSpot

Suddenly lost partial sound

By Rmk
Jan 2, 2010
  1. Hi Folks. I was playing Oblivion and was messing with some of the many mods I use with the game. I noticed after restarting the game that some of the sound was malfunctioning such as the voice dialouge and certain sound effects such as casting a lightening spell or a fireball. After further investigation I discovered that I had similar problems in other games as well so I knew it wasnt just Oblivion. When watching videos such as You tube, I have music but no voice. Also, some of the Windows system sounds will no longer play but others will. So in short, I can hear music being played (though that sometimes gets warbly) but in general, cannot hear any voice or special effect type sounds wether it be in games or watching YouTube, Media Player, or listening to ITunes. I should also mention that at times, the sounds seem to be trying to play like they're very faint and distorted but usually there is just silence.

Here are the basics of my system:
    Windows XP Home Sp3
    AMD 64x2 7750 Processor
    Biostar TA790GX3 A2+ Motherboard
    4 GB OCX dual channel memory
    GeForce 9800GT 512mb graphics
    At the time of the problem I was running the on board sound in the AMD 790GX chipset but have since switched to a SoundBlaster X-fi Extremegamer card

Here is what I've done to troubleshoot the problem but to no avail:
    -Reinstalled the latest MB chipset and Audio drivers
    -Reflashed with the latest BIOS update
    -Purchased and installed the SoundBlaster card mentioned above
    -Wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Windows with all updates
    -Downloaded and installed K-Lite Codec Pack standard and ran the repair options. (Which messed up my ability to open the Windows sound control, specifically SNDVOL32.EXE)

I suspect that after everything I've tried, there must be something wrong with my motherboard. I've tried to look for specific sound issues related to my MB on the net but didnt really come up with anything helpful.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This board is only a year old and I'd rather not go buy a new MB at this point.

Thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.