Suggest a graphics card

abhi007

Hi,

Can anyone suggest me a graphics card, here are my pc specs.

---
AMD Athlon 64 (2.7 Ghz LE-1640)
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Motherboard: ECS
Model: Iris 8
Current GPU is onboard nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 32-Bit Dual Boot
---

Its a HP PC, i have not built it myself.
Is GeForce 8400 good enough for this PC? my budget is $70, and it is selling for $40.

im not into serious gaming, i only sometimes play games. mostly NFS, GTA, COD types. i mostly use pc for programming. im looking to increase the performance of PC, would upgrading to 4GB Ram a better idea along with GPU. Windows XP compatibility of card is must since it is my main OS.

:cool:
Thanks,
abhi

A very suiting card for your mainstream gaming habits, as well as for your budget, is the ATi/AMD HD4550. It is very mainstream, but still packs a neat bang-per-buck ratio. Possibly even at a higher quality than the Ge. 8400. From looking at some pictures on Google, it seems like your MB supports PCIe x16, so you should be golden with a mainstream xx50-model from ATi/AMD.

Still, the 8400 is not a bad card, and getting it would definitely put some beauty into gaming.

Upgrading to 4GbB is a VERY BAD idea - both your XP OS and your Win7 OS is 32-bit based = you cannot run (utilize) more than 3GbB at any given moment. Save your money, do not upgrade to 4GbB. Perhaps 3, that would be neat ;) - but 4 will not work due to limitations within the 32-bit architecture. Period.

Also:
Unless I'm mistaken, the nForce 430 is an integrated GPU? Well, in that case: upgrading to a separate graphics card will definitely increase your game graphics and performance. The upgrade, even to the Ge. 8400, will take a huge load of work of the CPU and the RAM = better gaming graphics and performance.

XP is compatible with every graphics card that supports 800x600 resolution (aka. SVGA) - and that's been around since 1995, so don't you worry about XP incompability :)

Thanks for replying,

yes. my MB supports PCIe x16 this is the MB i have

the forum is not allowing me to post link here is the link without http
h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01237538&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3801536

i was looking for Geforce since i have not used ATI before and the MB is based on nVidia chip so putting a ATI card may cause some compatibility problems. here ATI Radeon HD4350 1GB is selling for $55, and Geforce 8400 512 MB for $45

yes, MB is based on nForce 430 chipset, currently i dont have any GPU, using the onboard one.

forgot to ask, does the GPU RAM 512 vs 1GB. makes any major difference when it comes to performance?

8400 1GB is not worth extra money...if they are the same price 1GB would be better, otherwise the difference is fairly negliable.

i found another value card, GeForce 210 but its performance seems to be similar as 8400, but it has HDMI and selling for $20 extra.

any comments on GeForce 210 vs GeForce 8400?

Back