Suggest multiplayer game for Acer Aspire One

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

Hi!

I'm looking for a suggestions to multiplayer game that can be played on my home network (wireless) with the following computers:

Acer Aspire One (Atom 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram, 160Gb hdd, IGM Accelerator 950, XP)

Desktop computer (AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1,5Gb ram, 240Gb hdd, NVidia GeForce 6700, Vista)

Laptop computer (Intel C2D 2.4Ghz, 4Gb ram, 320Gb hdd, NVidia GeForce 8600M GT, Win7x64)

The AAO is the weakest part, but I want to play on all three computers, it doesn't matter if the games are a bit old, as long as they're fun to play. I prefer FPS, but any suggestions as to genre are welcome.

Thanks

I'm downloading Alien Arena on my eee pc right now, and I think it should run it. I'll report back if it is playable. A good third person shooter that works is Battlefield Heroes, but it often runs at unplayable FPS. It seems to depend on the game you are in, because sometimes it runs fine and others it is literally a slideshow.

Not much luck with AA. For some reason the windows mouse is overlayed, and it messes up the controls. It ran pretty slowly, and eventually crashed the computer. Also I use this tool called GMA booster. Intel GMA 945's are underclocked in netbooks, and it temporarily restores the chip to it's standard clock without increasing voltages. I've tried it, and it gives me up to a 25% performance boost

Edit:

I got it working using quickplay, and all the lowest settings. I just realized that I had Seti@Home running in the background at the same time, which I'm sure didn't help FPS:)

So AA is playable? I don't use GMA booster, but maybe I should give it a try. I think I'll try Quake 3 too, I guess Quake 4 is too much.

It is playable, but just barely. One you see enemies it slowes down a bit, but I managed to get a fair number of kills anyway. Almost any MMO would work, if you are interested in them. They tend to have very low requirements. While you are trying quake games, there is a browser based one called quake live which is listed as running on an intel i915 chipset which is worse than the 945 netbooks have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back