Suggestion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoerster

I am having some issues... My PC will do rendom restarts... I have completed the following:
  • removed all hardware (2x)
  • cleaned all fans
  • replaced cables (2x)
  • reinstalled hardware (2x)
  • updated deivces drivers (to many to count)
  • updated software (to many to count)
  • removed McAfee
  • Completed the steps listed on UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions (4x)
  • Posted yesterday on Virus Forum with logs attached and have been waiting:(
Since completing the following I have ran all scans and updates, nothing has been found. I have to work in safe mode now(with no issues today), because in normal mode I now get the blue screen... physical memory dumps (4x) yesterday.
I want to know if I should just do another> format c: And clean install of OS.:dead:
I was tring to wait until I heard something... I am running the scans once more while waiting for a suggestions. Thanks and Be Blessed:p

hi hoerster

Can you please post your minidumps on here so we can analyse them for you. If you have more than one, zip them and post just one zip file. Also, please do inform us on when the restarts occur (do they happen when you're playing a game, opening aps, or just whilst the pc is idling etc.) ....

Spyder_1386 :)

Hello...:wave:

Sorry for your frustration. :blackeye:
Nothing bothers more than waiting for help and not knowing if your request has even been heard.

I have replied to your post in the Virus and Malware board...
At this point, I think your system looks clean, :)
so lets explore other possibilities before taking extreme measures.

1. Start with your minidump files. Get the MS tools for debugging (Windbg and Symbol Library for your OS and SP#). Set up the Debugger, including directing it where to find the symbol library.
2. Get Memtest and run it at least 7 full passes ( there are 8 individual tests per pass).
This will usually disclose if bad memory is your problem.
There will also be hints in your minidump.

At this point your issues could be software (including drivers), hardware (including memory), or perhaps something else(?).

Post your results from the above tests, and someone will be able to be of more help than has happened so far...

I hope this helps. :)

The minidump folder is empty???
Last night I had it in safe mode in order to do the scans and updates. I restarted it normal mode and it came to desktop... The screen blinked.... Blue Screen Mem Dump... Restarts. This seems to happen only in normal .. I am in safe mode now.

:blush:I will do these test. Are they on MS website?? Where do I find them?

For memtest, look at this thread
https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-62524-Tutorial-How-to-use-Memtest.html

WIndows Debugger and Symbol libraries are available at the MS download site.
see
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/Debugging/debugstart.mspx

For Windbg and detting up symbols, look at this thread
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic93664.html

But without the minidump files the WinDbg is not going to be very helpful yet.
Maybe someone can provide suggestions as to why you have no minidumps and how to fix this.

The problem is my CD/DVD drives both are lost... I've gone into to CMOS and Device Manager to find them. I was tring to burn files before my format last night. The only thing I can think to get them back is to reinstall them and see if they get noticed at startup.... What do you think?

That is the place to start for memtest to work for you.
If they will not install, then an inexpensive approach that might work
would be to get a usb enclosure for your cd writer...
(or a usb cd writer!) and go that way.

Another possibility would be to have a nearby friend dl and burn memtest for you.

Click Start > Right Click My Computer > on the next screen go to Advanced System Settings > Click Recovery Settings > Choose Small memory dump from the drop down box and also note where your dumps will be stored in the block underneath that. You can uncheck "Automatically restart" as well so that when you get your next blue screen you can note error that shows up in CAPITAL LETTERS. If you do not get a minidump again, please give us the error received on BSOD.

Kimsland - Thanks for the link I will fix the drives first..

BOOKWyrm - I will run mem test and post results for ya'lls viewing.

Spyder_1386 - Should I restart in normal mode to get the dump? It doesn't blue screen in safe mode..

Thanks for ALL of your Advice. I will do the following and get back with results.

Update...

Well my CD-rom is now working. I had tou removed my dvd drive though. I have not ran a scan which is when the blue screen would pop up. An when I try to do the step to run the memtest. It will not boot from cd, so I can't run that. The Windows Memory Dioag. will run with no problems. I don't know if that is the same as the zip file.:confused:

If your system is recognizing the cd drive...
then...
1. Make sure that the ISO image was burned properly, not simply copied as a file to the cd.
2. Go into BIOS to change boot order to make cdrom drive the first choice.

My earlier suggestion about USB would only work if your system bios will allow booting from USB. When I made the suggestion, I was thinking primarily of getting the memtest iso burned. I did not think through to the next step...

Hope this helps.

Okay.... I have ran the memory test and have a few questions.. Will it stop on it's own I ran 6 times and I wrote down some info. So tell me what I need to do.

I Still Have No MiniDump Files???

Here's the memtest guide that no one posts: Memtest
Edit:
Oh wait B00kWyrm posted it

Anyway it doesn't stop on its own, and you will see big red writing if it faults

I had alot of reds.. So I just read the guid and see what to do?

Oh wait.. I have 3 Ram Sticks... Can I do process of elim. and test one by one? Also, Since my fist post I have hosed twice... Is that a RAM Issue?

If you had reported Memory faults you can either remove one Ram card and test again individually (if you have multiple cards)
Or just replace them (it)

Preference goes to replacing the Ram card(s) and being done with it :D

Not that I'm aware of
Actually I think it tells you what exact location is faulty, it is possible to mark that area as bad and then the Computer will not use it
But faulty Ram, means that it is likely that more areas on the Ram will fault as well, so therefore replace is the only answer

I highlighted that "replace" word, as this thread(s) has been going on quite a long time now ;)

hi hoerster

The reason you don't have any minidumps showing is because your RAM is not functioning properly. Unfortunately, the moment Memtest reports any errors, your damaged chips have to be replaced like Kimsland said. Most chips come with a year warranty so if yours is still within the warranty period, you could just take the chips in and have them replaced for free.

Someone didn't knock on wood... First freeze, system has been up for 10-15 min. hased for 5min.
Running a Scan with -Avira AntiV SW
Ytube - American Idol Music
This forum
Okay I have a crazy situation.... I have 3 sticks

1 Super talent 1GB- test passes 2x
2 specTek 512 MB - test pass 2x

So I put the 2 specteck and tested failed. I put the super talent w/ one of the speckteck, failed. They pass alone but together they error.

SIDE Note:
I bought this PC form my husbands friends about 4 months ago....
I didn't add anything (hardware) for 2 months. I then removed some misc. files he had on here and it started hoseing up. So that is when I added my DC/DVD rom and did the format/Install. So I was thinking, it shouldn't be a compatiabilty issue. If it was working fine before, And they all test successfull. I am now just running on the 1GB mem stick with no freezes yet (knock on wood). Any Ideas???

What happens when they all test and pass with no errors individually?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back