Sun to unveil alternative to Windows desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
In a move aimed squarely at Microsoft Corp., Sun Microsystems Inc. on Tuesday will unveil a suite of software for businesses that want to dump -- or just can't afford -- the Windows operating system on their companies' desktop computers.

The Sun Java Desktop system, which was formerly code-named Mad Hatter, runs on the open-source Linux operating system and includes a variety of other programs that replace Microsoft's Internet browser, productivity suite and other parts of the Windows package.

Read more: SiliconValley.com.

Or, I can just download Red Hat Linux, and then install XIMIAN GNOME onto it, completely free, and I will still have a perfectly viable alternative to Windows, full of free gadgets, etc. Add Mplayer into the mix, and I am starting to get a system that's a good alternative to Windows XP on the go.

Here's the setup I am talking about:
(Sorry 56Kers!)

23xd2-3.jpg

This is free! All of it! You just have to be able to download it. If you have broadband, or a fast connection at work, there you go. Oh, and add Netscape as well. Its Linux version is great.

What more could you ask for? This Sun Java Desktop thing costs $50, and why should I pay $50 when I can pay nothing??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back