TechSpot

Sun to unveil alternative to Windows desktop

By Julio Franco
Sep 17, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In a move aimed squarely at Microsoft Corp., Sun Microsystems Inc. on Tuesday will unveil a suite of software for businesses that want to dump -- or just can't afford -- the Windows operating system on their companies' desktop computers.

The Sun Java Desktop system, which was formerly code-named Mad Hatter, runs on the open-source Linux operating system and includes a variety of other programs that replace Microsoft's Internet browser, productivity suite and other parts of the Windows package.

Read more: SiliconValley.com.
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Or, I can just download Red Hat Linux, and then install XIMIAN GNOME onto it, completely free, and I will still have a perfectly viable alternative to Windows, full of free gadgets, etc. Add Mplayer into the mix, and I am starting to get a system that's a good alternative to Windows XP on the go.

Here's the setup I am talking about:
    (Sorry 56Kers!)

[​IMG]

This is free! All of it! You just have to be able to download it. If you have broadband, or a fast connection at work, there you go. Oh, and add Netscape as well. Its Linux version is great.

What more could you ask for? This Sun Java Desktop thing costs $50, and why should I pay $50 when I can pay nothing??
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.