Super Bowl to be streamed online for the second consecutive year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Exactly one year ago to the day, the NFL announced that Super Bowl XLVI would be streamed live online and to select mobile phones for the first time ever. That experiment apparently went well enough that organizers have decided to follow up with a repeat for Super Bowl XLVII set to air on February 3, 2013 from New Orleans, Louisiana.

According to officials, more than 2.1 million people tuned in to watch the big game last year using a computer, making it the most-watched single-game sports event to be streamed legally over the Internet.

The plan is to do the same this year, although CBS will be broadcasting Super Bowl XLVII this year instead of NBC. We’re also hearing that Verizon Wireless subscribers will be able to get in on the action as well using the NFL Mobile app in the event they aren’t near a computer or a television.

Again, just like last year, wild-card playoff games and the Pro Bowl all-star game will stream online in the same manner, perhaps serving as a test bed for America’s game come early February. The play-off games will air on Saturday, January 5 while the Pro Bowl will take place on Sunday, January 27 from Hawaii. Viewers can log on through NFL.com and CBSSports.com to watch the games this year.

Streaming the game online not only introduces added convenience but there will also be additional camera angles, live statistics and other viewing enhancements, according to the NFL.

Permalink to story.

Sounds cool.. I'll check it out. I just hope the quality is good. Other NFL streaming methods offer terrible quality.

I hear you mike but its better then nothing though, I hate missing some of those monday night games and often opt to stream them. I have local television, so there is no need for me to stream the super bowl.

Cool! I'm still going to watch it on OTA TV (*), however out of fashion that may be.

(*) If I bother to watch it at all.

Back