Super-dim monitor - HP Pavillion dv6910us

By tatteredleaf
Nov 1, 2008
  1. My computer is less than a month old--so that is the good news. The bad news is that upon turning it on last night, the monitor is so dark that I can barely see the images. I checked the brightness...all says it is functioning well. I have it hooked up to a regular monitor--which is actually how I intend to use it most of the time...but this is nuts. I haven't found anyone else with this problem.

I bought a second of these for my boyfriend who is taking it to Germany--his is fine, and we compared the two computers' settings--they are identical. There is no explanation, other than the monitor is not working.

I hope it is something minor (such as something I did and don't realize it)...otherwise, I'll be taking it back and getting another computer since I just got the darn thing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

If you tried another monitor on your computer it's fine, then there's something wrong with the new one. All computer manufacturer have a default 90 warranty on all hardware. Take it back to the store and either have them test it or replace it.

-- Andy
  3. tatteredleaf

tatteredleaf TS Rookie Topic Starter

Andy, thanks...that is what I suspect will be the smartest course of action. I love this laptop--it is awesome--but I kinda want to be able to take it with me to B&N and such... I'll take it back tomorrow. They just better have another one to switch out.

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

most likely the LCD displays backlight has failed
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

1 month old? time for a warranty repair - and do it ASAP.
  6. tatteredleaf

tatteredleaf TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yup, and that's where it is--getting fixed. Argh. They say it is the backlight--swear up and down it is VERY RARE...and honestly on this machine i couldn't find a single complaint about this very thing. Just the luck of the draw--and the second computer (bought 2 of this model) is just fine. I can't think that I bumped it or anything...but something happened.

I will get it back later this week--and miss it TERRIBLY.

Carolyn, on my son's ghetto cranky old laptop
  7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

You might consider extending the warranty past 1 year
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.