Super Talent announces first USB 3.0 flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Even though Intel is expected to delay USB 3.0 support until sometime in 2011, motherboard makers have gone on their own including the new interconnect in select products via third party controllers. Naturally, compatible devices are starting to make their way onto the market as well, and now Super Talent has announced it plans to start shipping the world's first USB 3.0 flash drives as soon as next month.

Available in 32, 64 and 128GB capacities, the new RAIDDrive USB 3.0 series uses what Super Talent calls “multiple pairs of differential serial data lines technology” for optimal NAND flash performance. We can expect 200MB/s transfer rates in USB 3.0 mode and up to a whopping 320MB/s using a separate UAS Protocol driver. USB 2.0 and even 1.1 port compatibility has been preserved, albeit operating at their respective slower speeds.

To put this into perspective, filling up Super Talent's 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive would take a little over 3 minutes at top speed, whereas the same task would take nearly 30 minutes over a USB 2.0 port. There's still no word on pricing, but the company says we can expect retail availability in December from resellers worldwide.

Permalink to story.

I think Intel will have to revise its plans to push back USB 3.0 chipsets until 2011. With all the products being announced that support the standard, can Intel really afford to look the other way?

Now, just where is that damn USB 3.0 port on my computer, oh yes I forgot, it doesn't have it. where are the USB 3.0 boards, or is there any special PCI card available for this purpose, as I would really like to get this drive this season..

Yes there is, Asus has just announced an expansion card for PCI-Express motherboards called the U3S6. It adds USB 3.0 ports as well as SATA3 6Gbps ports. It's not that expensive either, worth a look.

So, if these come in 128GB capacities, could this be a clever alternative to an SSD? I've never tried to install an OS on a flash drive before. Is that even possible?

@wagan8r: From my understanding, yes it is possible to install an OS on a flash drive. But flash drives aren't going to replace SSD technology. The problem with flash drives, as I understand it, is that they are ultimately unstable.

Someone else can expand on that or correct me if I'm wrong.

The price is going to be big this year but by 2011 it might be better. Get that first wave of people out of the way. That's if I can wait.

Glad to see this stuff progressing but I would like to see some more support from Intel.

USB 3.0 is still very much in its infancy. As it is, unless one wants to pop in a third party controller card it will be sometime before we see widespread adoption of 3.0 in motherboards.

At least this is a step in the right direction. Maybe if more of these pop up, this will put pressure on Intel & co to support it quicker

This is great! Hope the technology that backs USB 3.0 will be on every chipset sometime before 2011.

A small Flash drive capable of 200 mb/s ? I predict a 1000 dollar price AT LEAST with about 16/32 GB storage..... USB 2.0 has enough bandwidth for most stuff, what do we really need 3.0 for? Almost nothing is currently maxing out the 480 mbit/s bandwidth of 2.0. Or is new devices coming to the market that didn't get there yet because 2.0 was to slow?

Now this come as an surprise. I didn't expect thumb drives to appear so soon. Maybe intel should try to support usb 3.0 sooner than 2011

This with the news Intel isn't going to support it, not good. Its cheaper to manufacture the devices that use usb 3.0 than it use it manufacture the motherboards.

Gigabyte already has the GA-P55A-UD4 out with both USB 3.0 and 6Gb/s SATA onboard, I work for a Gigabyte distributor and we them in stock.

I guess price is going to be very big for this usb 3.0 drive. I will wait for one year to other companies to enter into this and till then i guess price will go down too for usb 3.0

I respect Intel but what were they smoking when they backed support for USB 3.0 until 2011 ? People are tired of waiting , they need something new .

USB 3.0 would bring dramatic changes. Delaying it only slows them down.
Too bad that flash drive won't be as fast for a while.

The prospect that this is coming is sooo awesome. Shame the price and suppport will be shaky till 2011 though...

Hmm how are usb 3.0 devices really useful when major companies are still not 'officially' supporting it on the chipsets. I, personally, will wait until 3.0 is actually supported before jumping on the bandwagon.

Would love one right now, but damn Intel and there super rich selfs can just hold off for no ligit reason, talk about hault of innovation just glad there out there.

I won't be buying a new laptop just to get USB 3.0 .... but if someone like Super Talent makes a PCMCIA card or Express Card with two USB 3.0 ports in it (hopefully running at near USB 3.0 speeds), then the number of folks who will start buying USB 3.0 products will multiply significantly. If folks have to buy a new PC just to use a new technology like USB 3.0, then it's market growth will be slow.

This is cool! Even SSDs' can't reach 320 MB/s speed. This is "Megabyte" not "Megabit", right? Also, what about SATA 3.0 that we began to see in expensive mobos, especially Intel ones? You install the hdd into a PCI-like slot.

Most of the specs I've seen on USB flash drives have pretty low read/write speeds. They're not even fast enough to saturate USB 2.0. I'm guessing that flash drives fast enough to benefit from USB 3.0 are going to be pretty pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back