Super Talent intros 8GB USB 3.0 flash drive for $14

By Jos
Nov 2, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Even though major tech companies such as Intel and Apple have been slow to embrace USB 3.0, motherboard makers and device manufacturers are doing their part in helping bring this technology to mainstream ground. The latest salvo comes from Super Talent, which is expanding its offerings with a new line of budget-friendly USB 3.0 flash drives called the Express Duo. They come in both 8GB and 16GB capacities and will sell for a mere $14 and $29, respectively.

Read the whole story
  2. buttus

buttus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 187

Just, WOW. It simply astonishes me how cheap flash drives have become. I remember paying $100 for a 512mb drive some years ago. Now an 8Gb USB3 for $14?
  3. Neojt

Neojt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 131   +6

now thats cheep even the 16go at 29$ is a bargain its the same pricing (in the 8g) as usb 2

Bring it on
  4. ruzveh

ruzveh Banned Posts: 124

8gb @15 is really good deal i say. But if its usb3 then i would like to see 100gb sticks selling at below $20. Remember its a world of 3TB hDD.. lol
  5. T3x

T3x Newcomer, in training

Cool, I was thinking about getting a new flash drive anyways.
  6. taea00

taea00 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102

This sounds like a great deal. Even if you're just going to use it as a 2.0 drive, it's still competitively priced. There must not have been a great deal of difference in the manufacturing process if 3.0 devices are coming in at the same price point as 2.0 devices.
  7. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TechSpot Member Posts: 96   +9

great since the HDD and storage is the most slow part in the computers this is great its getting cheaper and cheaper :D
  8. T3x, Its Hot !
    taea00, This might be just a promotional price, y'know not permanent.
    Ahmed90, No, Ahmed90 is the slowest part on ANY computer.
    ruzveh, I would like to see 200Gb sticks for $10, I would also like to see Heidi Klum making me breakfast.

Excellent, Higher, Faster, Cheaper
  9. dmoore44

dmoore44 Newcomer, in training

I just paid $30 for an 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive... granted it has a secure partition using AES-256, but it's not hardware level encryption, so I can't say that the extra $16 is worth it...
  10. cardriverx

cardriverx Newcomer, in training Posts: 84

I was just looking for flash drive, looks like imma wait. $30 for 16GB? Thats great for a usb 2 drive haha.
  11. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 864   +127

Is there a catch at all?
    There's just something wrong about new technology at old tech's price :p
  12. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Depending on how much extra they have to pay for the 3.0 hardware, it may not be that much of a change in the manufacturing process. That being said, I don't see to many situations where you need to transfer a lot of data very quickly onto a USB drive unless you're stealing the NOC list from Langley or something.
  13. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,988   +66

Well my good old Corsair 8 & 16GB USB flash drives are serving me perfectly well; so I am in no rush to buy this baby ...... and, I paid lots of money to buy them upon their respective launch :(

14. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

Waw, pretty cheap, I'll be buying one for sure, and I'll suggest to my friends
  15. zogo

zogo Newcomer, in training Posts: 53

can't wait to get my hands on this. perfect, just what I need it and almost for free :)
  16. ingalonzo

ingalonzo Newcomer, in training

cooll!! i want one of does :p
  17. Demons

Demons Newcomer, in training Posts: 52

That's a really good deal! I need to get a good PCI-E USB 3.0 card for my computer. I hope USB 3.0 does well this coming year. We need some more support for the standard.
  18. AbsolutGaloot

AbsolutGaloot Newcomer, in training Posts: 92

Makes me wish I'd held out a little longer on building my computer to get a USB 3.0 motherboard.
  19. frodough

frodough Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

it's a very good sign for company like this to step up w/ lower price, consumers win everywhere!
  20. TwiztidSef

TwiztidSef Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

I did not expect this out so soon. Can't wait till more hard drive enclosures and other technology start embracing it.
  21. RebelFlag

RebelFlag Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

I will be buying one of these as soon as they become available.
  22. uttaradhaka

uttaradhaka Newcomer, in training Posts: 53

This is so cheap!! 14 bucks for a 8 GB drive, that too being USB 3? Can't miss this. Even if you don't have a USB 3 compatible motherboard right now, your going to have it sometime in the future and until then, you can just use it just like a regular USB drive.
  23. Compnut

Compnut Newcomer, in training

Somethings just keep getting better, too bad bluray is still so expensive. That really needs to drop more for it to become ubiquitous.
  24. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

They are most likely trying to build market awareness and get people talking about their company, as well as the USB3 technology. Just like Google TV is giving away set top boxes to 'developers'. It got lots of people/websites talking about free Google TV.

It's all about market awareness and branding. Express Duo is now a company people will look in to for USB3, as well as other products they offer.

Have you ever heard of a loss leader? It's a classic Black Friday example. Sell one item at a loss to get people in the store, then they will hopefully purchase something else while there, or come back for something else at a later date. By them purchasing something else, they will recover the costs of the loss item.
  25. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Wow, amazingly cheap. Good to see more USB 3.0 hardware being released.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.