Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000028ff5
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 570e
Additional Information 2: f87d907f6c95b3755cbb4bbb0beffc03
Additional Information 3: 2633
Additional Information 4: 00b160c131b062ec9ae01ef07ef1effe

I looked it up on google. And someone said that you should delete the files in the prefetch folder. I'm not sure if this is safe to do or not, and input on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

You will be perfectly safe to delete files in prefetch folder - they will simply be replaced as required. You will very probably need to start your PC in safe mode before you are allowed access to prefetch folder at all - deleting the contents is not quite simple.

I dont have a lot of confidence that cleaning pre-fetch will solve your problem. You actually have a C000005 error, which is memory access violation. There are no clear-cut reasons for that, but you can suspect corruption on your HDD. Run chkdsk /f. Discover your HDD manufacturer and download a full HDD checking aid.

You should also do what you can easily do - thoroughly clean the dust out of the PC, check all the connectors, test the memory etc etc.

I did chkdsk, and it solved nothing.

I did a diagnostic, and it found a memory error code.

So I reseated the memory and got some of the dust off, and am now no longer getting the error. Should I redo chkdsk?

A routine disk check and cleanup and defragment and use of ccleaner to keep the bloat down is always a good idea.

Thorough Disk checks should be done every 6-8 weeks. The /F parameter will just correct errors and can be quickly run any time you like, especially if you seem to get errors occasionally.

It is important that at the 6-8 week intervals, you use the /R paramenter, which will thoroughly test every single bit of your HDD. This will take a long time, and you cannot do anything else whilst it is happenening but it will normally pick up incipient failure before disaster strikes.

Sorry if you already know all this, but few people do sufficient preventative maintenance, me included :blackeye:

Back