Surprisingly low in-game performance

Hello everyone. For a past few weeks I have been experiencing noticeably low framerates in all games. It's really annoying because right now I can’t play even deus ex human revolution which was very friendly to my setup before.

My machine may not be the newest one but its not the worst on the market. My pc contains- Q6600 at 3.13 ghz, 2x2gb corsair ddr2 ram ~870mhz, hd5850 920/1200mhz, gigabyte ga-g31m-s2l (don’t laugh at it, I know it pretty much suc*s), ocz stealthxstream 600w and seagate 640gb hard disk (7200rpm).

I use mostly 1280:1024 res (vista home basic 64b service pack 2). Framerate in deus ex human revolution reaches 30fps max (in town) and up to 50fps (in closed areas). In battlefield 3 open beta maximum framerate was around 20-30 fps all the times. well I know that this pc has it's golden era somewhere in the past but it’s not supposed to suck so badly atm especially that right after dx:hr was released I was actually able to run it maxed with 90-100fps.

I noticed lower framerates in all my other games too, WoW, Crysis 2, the witcher 2... I would be very grateful for helping me out on this issue since its starting to wash gaming away from my life pretty much. What should I do? :(

To me, other than your computers power supply being a tad bit on the low side for my tastes, I really don't see anything that would be holding your system back, from being a decent little gamer. All the hardware is there, and it all looks like it should be up to par in regards to gaming.

Now of course the obvious questions...do you know if your computers video card drivers are up to date? Are your computers sound card drivers up to date? And or course, is your computers operating system totally up to date? If yes, yes & yes, I normally then venture forth into temperature related issues. When was the last time you took your computers case side panel off and took a can of compressed air and really gave it all a good cleaning? Sometimes dirt and dust and dander build up on key area's inside a computer, normally video cards and areas of the motherboards can make for unstable temperatures on those parts. Hence reducing that devices full potential when normally in a cool state.

When was the last time you tested all your devices through your operating system? Are there any parts in there that are leaning towards being on the old side, if so, are those parts now starting to fail therefore starting to hold back your system from being all it can be?

Well that's about all from me, I'll wait to see what you have to say, plus that laundry list of questions could be looked at as a "to do list" and should keep you busy for a little while. But don't give up hope, I'm sure with my help and the help of more competent people here on the forums your going to be just fine! :)

So get back to us..........

I don't think there is anything low about your power supply, and I'd think that it's not a hardware issue.
If you haven't already, check for viruses, and hungry processes. And yes, check up on your GPU drivers.

i've chosen the most lazy option out of all. seems like reinstalling windows is always a good thing. everythings up to date now, no unnecesarry programs, no greedy processes. it's all good atm. i still wonder what the heck was slowing my pc down so badly.

Back