Survey finds considerable increase in teen smartphone adoption rate

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new report from Pew Research Center takes a look at technology use among America’s youth. The survey found that 78 percent of people between the age of 12 and 17 said they owned a cell phone and nearly half said they owned a smartphone. That translates into 37 percent of all teens owning a smartphone, up from 23 percent in 2011.

Of the 802 youth polled for the survey, 23 percent said they owned a tablet – figures that are in line with adult adoption rates. A whopping 95 percent of teens said the use the Internet with 93 percent saying they have access to the web at home. 71 percent of those with home access share a laptop or desktop with other family members.

survey uncovers substantial increase teen smartphone adoption survey teens smarphone

Mary Madden, Senior Researcher for the Pew Research Center’s Internet Project and co-author of the report, said the nature of teens’ Internet use has transformed dramatically from stationary connections at a shared desktop to always-on connections that travel with them throughout the day. She further noted that in many ways, teens represent the leading edge of mobile connectivity as their usage patterns often signal future changes in the adult population.

Pew gathered information for this report from a national phone survey of 802 parents and their teens conducted between July 26 and September 30, 2012. Interviews were conducted in both English and Spanish across landlines and cell phones. Pew said the margin of error for the full sample is plus / minus 4.5 percent.

Permalink to story.

They needed a survey for this? All you needed to do is drive by any Junior High and Senior High school and watch EVERY SINGLE STUDENT walk out of the school glued to their smart phone.

They needed a survey for this? All you needed to do is drive by any Junior High and Senior High school and watch EVERY SINGLE STUDENT walk out of the school glued to their smart phone.

Tell me about it.. society itself has been so glued to a phone anymore. People wonder why there's so many problems, there's less connection for families anymore. Just why talk about it, when you can simply follow their online habits? Then there's the whole "invasion of privacy" between parents and kids, there's no logic to these stupid studies. Just a waste of time and money IMO.

May be so for people being glue to their phone, but at least they'd be around people. If you're at a PC, you're not always around people.

May be so for people being glue to their phone, but at least they'd be around people. If you're at a PC, you're not always around people.

How would you figure? If people find it too hard, to actually be a family then. There's no way a normal family, would even work with these. I can see people finding it impossible to do something, or want more privacy and head off to their rooms.

Sure they might be around others, but do they actually look and socialize? Their face is glued to a phone, be it in a call or texting others. There's little to no proper interaction, it's no surprise and those who notice it tend to be without one. Or not so heavily addicted to it, that they can't put it down.

I used to be in the "It's cool to have a phone" age, being only in my late 20's and I just view it really, as garbage and more money than worth. Guess it's being I'm not a huge social person, I don't mind though being with others to talk. You know.. an actual conversation? Not this mindless texting back and forth, glancing at any possible incoming emails / tweets / etc these days.

You view me negatively for being at a PC, because of what exactly might I ask? It's the same damn thing honestly, you're not social with others on a normal level. If someone interrupts you on a phone, they either blow you off or make you wait. At least at a PC you can do something, while also listening and properly conversing.

I'll admit not everyone has that ability anymore, because people become less and less social. Sure you can simply have "girl / guy" nights and all that where, you get together but how many don't whip out a phone at some point? Eventually get so occupied it's like others don't exist, until someone reminds you usually. I doubt there's times where it's a "no phone" night, that someone brings it for some particular excuse.

So what if I'm around my PC more, that means there's no real need to be social. Especially if it's a quiet day / evening / night, or I'm just avoiding someone for reasons. There's times I will actually sit, converse and not be mindlessly doing something. Tell me really how often you see people, actually not texting / tweeting / etc on a phone and actually conversing. Prove me wrong on that retrospect, because people are becoming more isolated these days. :p

Phones are mostly communication devices for girls, the guys have the car. The girls ring the guy to come pick them up in the car, therefore completing the smart phone cycle.

Back