TechSpot

Survey: Negative online reviews change 80 percent of shoppers’ minds

By Shawn Knight
Aug 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A new survey finds that four out of five consumers have reversed purchase decisions based on negative reviews found on the net. The study comes from market analysis firm Cone…

Read the whole story

2. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 850   +11

I research just about every "big ticket" item before I buy it. All my computers I have built for myself I spent weeks reading up on everything new, trying to find the best bang for my buck.

I this last spring re-did my entertainment room with a 55" HDTV and new surround sound receiver and spent months looking at alternatives.

Even my new washer and dry I looked up reviews for before I found ones that I am happy with.

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

You are a man after my own heart :)

4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Those reviews can be a bit helpful sometimes. Makes the difference between buying a fake product that looks real such as those fake Sony controllers...

5. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 614   +96

I think this is a good story but you have to still be careful online. You have company sending people to Newegg to Cnet to post positive reviews of products that are POS.

The key it going on to these sits and being able to spot corporate shills. However there is also a tons of noobs that post stuff and they also don't know what the hell you are talking about. I've been doing this so long I am able to spot the sheeps from the wolves but the average best buy shopper cannot.

My best advice talk to your friends that are into technology and get on to some tech forums and ask questions whenever possible. Better to be a noob on a forum asking questions than to have buyers remorse!!

6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,370   +405

Ditto for me what TorturedChaos said. If it's going to cost me more than a few bucks, I'll research the hell out of it. If you go to NewEgg and see that an item that has 600+ user reviews, yeah a small portion might be fake. But you can't fake them all. And then there are the professional review sites (like TechSpot here) where if you get a consensus on an item, well...chances are it's what they say it is.

Just buying blindly without doing research, especially being how it easy it is with Google searches, is just plain dumb.

7. okrings

okrings TS Rookie Posts: 20

I read a whole bunch of reviews before I buy expensive stuff, like new computer parts. I put very little stock in half-baked reviews done by other customers at a given webshop. What I look for is the type of articles you'll see here at techspot, or over at tom's hardware and similar sites. I need graphs, man!

8. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

I was never very big on reviews...but then a few week back i looked up loads about a £20 camping pan set, and i'm really glad i did.

I even signed up to leave my own review (my real first ever one) when i came back off holiday.

9. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

I've had my mind changed many times before buying stuff due to reviews, mainly small stuff though. I generally dont do much researching about big ticket items these days, mainly because i have a good idea of what i want, the product that i want and what that product is capable of, plus most of the things i want i already have. In general you can get a good idea if a product is good by its price.

10. "Word of mouth" has always been the most trusted method of Marketing. And that makes sense. The opinion of someone who has used the product and is not associated with product's company has a higher believable factor.

With the advent of the internet, and internet retailers, the combination of professional reviews and the feedback of purchasers (such as Amazon and NewEgg) greatly influences our purchase decisions.

The main concern is whether reviews and/or feedback are intentionally bias or not.

I am sure some are "fake", but the volume is usually large enough to overcome those.

To me the question is how to ferret out the facks.

11. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 244   +18

Two words for all y'all. Consumer Reports.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.