suspect broadband problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

Not sure if this is in the right forum but it could fit into several.
I have been looking at a pc running win 98se connected to the internet via a usb modem and a broadband connection (Orange) The problem is that it happily connects to the net and will open some pages but not all, if you open google it will search on any subject in fractions of a second but if you go to open sites it is very hit and miss whether they open. If you type an address into the address bar it won't open the site.
I put a payg dial up connection on the pc and any site will open without a problem as it should do.
I have deleted the broadband software and reloaded it without any improvement. The fact it all works OK with a dial up connection suggests that there is not much at fault with IE6 or that there may be virus or spyware problem, I ran a AVG scan and found nothing.
The only problems I could find with the machine are that the hard drive is over 90% full, it is only a 810MB after all. I deleted all cookies and temporary files.
At the moment I cannot think of anything else to try so have turned to you guys for help.

Try doing a Windows 98SE repair. You do this by booting off the Win98 CD and letting the program install right "over" the existing install. At the end, your settings should remain untouched and things should return to normal. If they don't, you will have to format and reinstall from scratch

Since my last post I have fitted a new hard drive and reloaded all of the software. When I went on the internet through my connection (using ethernet cable and an ADSL router) it would happily go to any website without a problem.
I loaded the orange software and the usb modem (speedtouch 330) and still had the original problem, some sites it connects to OK but others it won't connect to. I have another usb modem which I will try but I don't think it will make a lot of difference but at the moment I am a little baffled.

OK I finally got it sorted, I ran DRTCP and changed the TCP receive window from 32765 to 55600 and changed the MTU from 1500 to 1430.
We can now access all websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back