Suspect: Motherboard/Computer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelic00

I recently swapped my computer hardware to a new case. My computer was a premade machine from HP called the "HP Pavillion 524w." I switched it to a newer dell case I had out in my garage wasting space. I'm not sure why, but whenever I try to boot into an OS, It gives me a BSOD and restarts itself. I tried reinstalling XP, and it continued to give me the same problem! I tried an upgrade to Vista, same problem. I checked my memory, my harddrive, my video, my network, my power supply, and my cpu already. All of them check out Okay.

It started to do this right after I switched to the Dell case. I suspect my motherboard ended up getting damaged during the swap or it doesn't "like" the case I put it in.,.

Can anyone help me with this?

Specs:
Motherboard: Unknown
Case: Unknown DELL Case (2006 case) - Previous: HP Pavillion 524w case...
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Memory: 1GB CORSAIR DDR SDRAM @266MHz
Video: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 5 FX 5200
Sound: Realtek Avance AC'97 Onboard Audio
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 - Previous: Windows XP Professional SP3

It is quite annoying... >.<

Are the power supply connectors the same.
Your system is detecting a difference...
If you can get to a point where it will stay on for a few minutes, go to
Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery, then remove the check from "Automatic Restart" you will get error messages the next time you reboot that will help you figger out the problem.

It may be that Windows is stopping the system because it detects the hardware change... and Windows XP will not tolerate any hardware change.
In order to get around the hardware change, use your HP Windows disk to do a Recovery Install... then look for the R for Repair, not the R for Restore Recovery, and run Windows XP in Repair mode.
But the HP motherboard is not tolerant of changes to the power system... so be certain your connectors are the same... and that all cables are properly connected as they were before.

Are you trying to install Windows VISTA Ultimate SP2 that is the HP version, or the OEM version. Because VISTA will detect any changes that put the install at risk... depending on the install disk.
In short, you are attempting changes that newither VISTA, nor XP Professional will easily tolerate if they are from Dell or HP... and not Microsoft OEM install disks... not to mention the drivers must match the board.
Your equipment list looks ok, except your memory is marginal for the VISTA setup.
Then there are the drivers... Where did you obtain your drivers for the change... they must be the correct drivers for that motherboard... but still must be properly detected.

raybay, thanks for your help but it wasn't that. It turned out it was my DVD Burner. I'm running smooth and fine now. Thanks again.

-1 DVD Burner
+1 Decent computer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back