Suspected LulzSec member "Topiary" released on bail

Rick

Staff

As reported last week, British authorities arrested the individual thought to be "Topiary", one of the founders of hacktivist group, Lulz Security. Today, Jake Davis, 18, was conditionally released on bail under orders which prohibit Internet access, enforce a 7:00am-10:00pm curfew and mandates an electronic ankle bracelet to monitor his whereabouts. 

Shortly after the arrest, there were rumors that British authorities may have bagged the wrong person, however, they would seem to strongly disagree with those rumors. The Scotland Yard issued a press release Sunday and published the official list of offenses Jake Davis has been charged with. So far, Davis is accused of being involved in several high profile cyber-intrusions, not the least of which include News Corp. and Britain's National Health Service.

Source: Scotland Yard:

• Unauthorised access to a computer system, contrary to Section 3 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990;
  • Encouraging / assisting offences, contrary to Section 46 of the Serious Crime Act 2007;
  • Conspiracy with others to carry out a Distributed Denial of Service Attack on the website of the Serious and Organised Crime Agency contrary to Section 1 Criminal Law Act 1977;
  • Conspiracy to commit offences of Section 3 Computer Misuse Act 1990, contrary to Section 1 Criminal Law Act 1977;
  • Conspiracy between the defendant and others to commit offences of Section 3 Computer Misuse Act 1990 contrary to Section 1 Criminal Law Act 1977.

Prosecutors claim that items seized from Jake Davis' home included a Dell laptop running 16 virtual computers. Contained within the computer, authorities allegedly found details regarding an attack against Sony plus a list of hundreds of thousands of user logins. Despite the early indication that prosecutors may have stumbled upon a preponderance of evidence against Davis, they say there is still much left to investigate. 

Is Jake Davis really "Topiary"? British authorities have said there is "no doubt". His appearance in court also did little to prove otherwise, sporting a pair of sunglasses indoors and reading a copy of "Free Radicals: The Secret Anarchy of Science" during his wait. When the prosecution struggled to pronounce "LulzSec", Davis reportedly grinned. They might have the right guy afterall.

Almost the same time at which Davis took to questioning, Anonymous took to Pastebin, issuing one of their uniquely colorful messages.

Source: @YourAnonNews on twitter

"If Scotland Yard succeeded in vanning Topiary, that is no shame or disgrace. Are not men and heroes killed but on the battlefields? But can the British, with their media, agents, tools, soldiers, and apparatus kill what Topiary lived and was vanned for?"

With one more Lulz Security founder down, that means only four core memebers are suspected to remain. Davis is expected to return to London on August 30 for his first hearing.

Permalink to story.

"Are not men and heroes killed but on the battlefields?"

What a bunch of delusional a-holes. They want to be hero's? Hand them a gun and send them to the Afghanistan front.

Lol at people saying script kiddies when they didn't use random scripts also people calling other script kiddies are the same ones who don't know how to do anything related to hacking etc so stop acting big on the net please

This sort of smugness is only brought about by the belief that nothing bad will happen to you.

I just wish they stopped with the 1980s mindset that "hackers" are kids who aren't able to channel their skillz into something productive. Start handing out sentences of 20 years, and you'll get a few script kiddies rethinking their participation. The current alternative is a slap on the hand and much publicity. Maybe he'll get a column at Wired.

Rud3bwoy said:
Lol at people saying script kiddies when they didn't use random scripts also people calling other script kiddies are the same ones who don't know how to do anything related to hacking etc so stop acting big on the net please

Uh, ok Acid Burn, thanks for the advice.

You do know in the movie hackers or in real life gaining Merlin acces is far from a script right?learn something thanks

Rud3bwoy said:
You do know in the movie hackers or in real life gaining Merlin acces is far from a script right?learn something thanks

Is there a URL you can point me to in order to verify your statement?

Rud3bwoy said:
well all i've ever seen them do is use DDOS attacks and an sql injection so i don't think your examples are relevant. And since i have only seen them use these two methods it is very likely they are just "script kiddies".

Once again in hackers or to Gain Merlin access you have to be pretty smart and scripts don't work with Merlin attacks

Now I'm not saying they have not used scripts here and there but they are pretty smart,If you are so smart how come you are not making money with
that genius head of yours?

Nothing more than a bunch of kids who talk over the net about others but can't do anything other than judge lol I'm done here

Rud3bwoy said:
Once again in hackers or to Gain Merlin access you have to be pretty smart and scripts don't work with Merlin attacks

Now I'm not saying they have not used scripts here and there but they are pretty smart,If you are so smart how come you are not making money with

Nothing more than a bunch of kids who talk over the net about others but can't do anything other than judge lol I'm done here

Yeah, you best run along, Brad needs help with the kids.

It seems these kids are on a big ego trip. They may feel small, so what better way to build up the ego then to "hack" into many sites and try to make a name for themselfs. The media and attention is just what they crave. To justify their actions they pretend they are superheros defending something, something bigger then they are, but they never quite know what it is, this also pumps up the ego. Ah, but now the truth comes out, just some immature kids who messed with people and who will go to jail.

juvenile, immature, ignorant. they're just kids in sunglasses who don't know any better of the world beyond their computer screen and dorky sunglasses. can't even begin to describe how ridiculously ignorant this kid looks. quoting bunch of sentences don't make you a man. growing up in prison will.

Rud3bwoy said:

What? Do we need to know how to hack to be a cool kid like you?

Rud3bwoy said:

From your comments it sure seems like you look up to Lulzsec. And as for whether they are script kiddies, it doesn't matter. Being a "smart" juvenile hacker just means he is vandalizing the internet using his own programs instead of using somone elses'. So he is only a little bit less useless than i thought. My bad.

Actually I never followed lulzsec at all just ran across this article as I come here daily to see tech updates but ok?

Everyone bashing these kids I am sure these kids will get a great job well paying for there knowledge while you struggle,i guess people hate when others tell the truth,anyway peace haters

Rud3bwoy said:
Actually I never followed lulzsec at all just ran across this article as I come here daily to see tech updates but ok?

Everyone bashing these kids I am sure these kids will get a great job well paying for there knowledge while you struggle,i guess people hate when others tell the truth,anyway peace haters

your comments shows your ignorance.

if your definition of success builds upon wrecking other people's lives in return for one's own benefit then i pity you. and i hope you can better educate yourself in the fundamentals of right and wrong. this type of twisted illusion of understanding of success is what exactly sends our younger generations to the prison. gaining notoriety in the high school album is one thing, gaining notoriety in America's most wanted list is another. there's no cool or fun factor involved in the latter. and if you don't recognize that, you're a fool. and if you think hacking in the basement will get you girls' attention, it's time to grow up. success is when someone who channels his/her mind into the breakthrough of medical technology, who save lives, who achieves the betterment of others while in the process of attaining self actualization in life. and just so we're all clear, Matrix was a movie, a fiction, a tale.

Rud3bwoy said:
If you are so smart how come you are not making money with that genius head of yours?
how do you know i'm not?

Rud3bwoy said:Everyone bashing these kids I am sure these kids will get a great job well paying for there knowledge while you struggle,i guess people hate when others tell the truth,anyway peace haters
aha, so we're the haters cuz you're insulting us right? We're just telling you the truth about lulzsec: they are script kiddies and they needlessly hurt people. I guess you're right, people hate others when they tell the truth, after all you seem to be raging.

Rud3bwoy said:"I am sure these kids will get great job well paying for their knowledge"
thats not looking up to them? Honestly... looking up to them because of their "supposedly good" hacking skills is just plain ignorant. Or will you be happy when some random guy uses your money because they are "good" at hacking. Didnt your parents ever teach you about empathy?
Rud3bwoy said:You do know in the movie hackers or in real life gaining Merlin acces is far from a script right?
And if you don't follow them, why and how did you cite this as an example.

FYI: your need to practice your english a little bit more

Rud3bwoy said:

Like I said, these aren't the 1980s when teenage computer hackers are forced to break into networks to channel their curiosity. None of the companies affected had, by all accounts, any meaningful security to begin with. If your own IT department is telling you that they're not secure, and you get hacked anyway, what is the point of hiring the hacker when your own people were aware of the problem.

And again, from all accounts, none of them did anything particularly brilliant. They didn't hack into the CIA website, they DDoS'd it. Pretty big distinction. Now if this guy can change the wallpaper on the desktop of the head of the NSA, then perhaps he may be highly sought after. But doing what he did does not take any real insight beyond downloading some software, and spending some good time reading the internet, and talking to like minded individuals.

I'm sure he and his buddies are much more skilled at this sort of thing than most people here, but then same can be said for mugging, drug dealing, and a lot of other criminal skills that any intelligent person would otherwise be able to learn if not for the consequences in engaging in this sort of behavior.

When the prosecution struggled to pronounce "LulzSec", Davis reportedly grinned. They might have the right guy afterall.

I would've grinned at something like that also. >_>
Grins can be so misleading lol.
That picture wasn't so bad with the sunglasses.

Rud3bwoy said:

A successful hack is when the victim doesn't now he's been hacked.

I mainly use the phrase script-kiddie when typical people get caught D Dosing sites etc.

I would call my self a script-kiddie because I do alot of penetration-testing to secure my own networks which obviously involves using other peoples programs that I did not create.

I really dont care what people do on the net, in some circumstances I agree with what some of these hacking groups do to get the word out about internet-freedom and free-speech.

I may not no much but I know enough to not get caught

I really dont care what people do on the net, in some circumstances I agree with what some of these hacking groups do to get the word out about internet-freedom and free-speech.
Free speech has its boundaries. You should try screaming "FIRE" (*) in a crowded theater sometime. Wait for the firemen and police, then proudly tell them you did it. Get back to us. Get a law degree, provide pro bono counsel to "NAMBLA". These are a couple of things you might do in furtherance of protecting free speech.

((*) No cheating, there can't actually be a fire).

To bad hes not as smooth as rupert murdoch. His trial began on a tuesday his whistle blower was dead on monday. Got pied in the face on tuesday. There were no head lines reading whistle blower died a suspicious death, they read rupert murdoch hit by pie! Or rupert murdoch attacked! Lulsec are scum hacking out credit card info, but so is newscorp for hacking into a murdered girls cell phone and deleting voic mails.

Back