Suspected RAM problem

By PouncingAnt
Mar 23, 2008
  1. This weekend, I turn around from eating dinner to find my Evesham Technology laptop frozen.
    -So, I end up rebooting the thing, and get the error: "Keyboard not attached". -With no way to get past that, I try restarting again, only to be met with a long repeating bleep.

I go out looking for a new computer. On returning, I take out the HDD, CDROM, and battery to peek inside (I always wanted to see what was inside my laptop, having opened up and modded my old desktops). I also open up the RAM compartment, and practice removing and replacing the RAM.

so, after reseating the RAM, I press the on button, and to my surprise the thing starts back up again, as if nothing had happened.

However, every now and then I will have the computer freeze, and on rebooting, get the long beep codes, which I can usually correct by reseating the RAM (sometimes I need to reseat it a few times before it works)

I assume its a RAM problem, and will be running Memtest from my GRUB boot loader before I go to class, in the hope it will still be running when I get back.

I've not had the keyboard error again, so I think that may be a one off, but I'm a little worried it might be a motherboard problem.

Of course, being in Japan, the costs for sending my laptop back to Evesham for repairs would be abominable, and frankly I'd rather spend the money on a new laptop. However, I should be able to get new RAM fitted over here, if needed.

If anyone can give me any advice, I would appreciate it greatly.
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

Not much advice to give :).

Run Memtest86 as you had planned to, if it suggests your RAM is defective, replace it (obviously). If your RAM is okay, and it's another internal component, the only way to get around it is to send the laptop back for repairs, or bring it to a shop.

You've already said that sending it back to Evesham isn't worth it and the shop will probably want to come to a conclusion on their own (rightfully so), and if it's not the RAM it's likely another internal component which are almost all integrated/soldered to the motherboard. They'll probably want to replace the motherboard which is likely going to cost you nearly as much in parts/labor as it would to just buy a new laptop.
  3. PouncingAnt

PouncingAnt TS Rookie Topic Starter

OK, thanks!

I guess I may have to get used to using a Japanese keyboard pretty soon!

I ran Memtest, but the damn laptop froze during it (typical), so I'll run it again later.

Thanks again
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

read the BIOS beep guide in the guides forum to determine your hardware malfunction.
  5. PouncingAnt

Thanks Tedster, but Insyde Bios V4 doesn't appear to be there. Nor the 4 long beeps I appear to be getting

a small update..
    After using a dry lens cleaning tissue on the pins of the RAM and reseating it, my laptop is, for the moment, OK. I ran Memtest again, and it successfully made a pass with no errors (I'll run it again before I go to labs, and see if it manages not to coc* up)
    But I still think that cleaning it may be a coincidence, as I can see no way how dirty pins could have been the problem when I'd never removed the RAM before my troubles occured. Anyway, I'll keep testing and see how things go. Thanks for your help thus far, everyone.
  6. Tedster

I'll research that BIOS. thanks. It would appear it is either an Award or AMI BIOS. As Evesham is out of business, I could not find much information online.
  7. PouncingAnt

I see, I'm not surprised to see evesham out of business, these companies seem to come and go like a bad cold..

After a day or two of use with the RAM in the remaining slot the thing started crashing again.

As suspected, it seems there is something wrong with the laptop other than the memory, thus my now typing this message on a Japanese keyboard. I'm not too bothered though, it gave me the chance to get a slightly faster notebook after all.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I'm enormously grateful!
  8. lamo

lamo TS Rookie

pouncingant, tell the model of laptop.
  9. PouncingAnt

would that I could. I haven't a clue. It doesn't appear to be written anywhere on it, or on any of the software that I have with me (which I think accounts for all of it). I could find out by finding the manuals, but that will have to wait until I'm back in England in August.
  10. lamo

lamo TS Rookie

did you check the bottom of laptop. there should be some stickers...
  11. Tedster

I would not be surprised due to the age of the computer and the fact that 98% of BIOS are made by just a handful of companies that it ISN'T listed in the guides forum.

Also ensure your motherboard battery is still good. replace it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.