TechSpot

Suspected virus disabling IE and Mcafee

By hippo430
May 15, 2009
  1. I have experienced a number of strange things on my computer. #1, When hitting "Start" the icon on the right that used to say "Documents" now has a string of letters and numbers but double-clicking it will get me into my documents. #2 A more troubling development is that I can no longer use IE as my browser (I have XP serv.pack 3, had been using IE8). IE will start but most of the page remains blank. Along with this I noticed a warning from McAfee stating my anti-virus was turned off. It will not turn back on so I de-installed it and tried to re-install it but it would not download. Tried Norton also but with the same results. I had a current McAfee disk and tried that but it would not work. The message says an error prevents it from doing so. I spoke with a McAfee rep. who was unable to help me and said it sounded like a bad virus and I needed to take my machine to a repair shop. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

2. touch

touch TS Rookie Posts: 978

3. hippo430

hippo430 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Question re. 8-step removal

Thanks for your reply and directions. I encountered a problem on the first step, however. Part of my original problem was that I could no longer run the scan for McAfee. I have tried downloading other anti-virus products (downloaded Avira from your recommendation) but they could not install because they could not connect to the internet. With Avira, I got the message "A secure internet connection is required to activate the product (SSL) encrypted. This could not be established)
    This may be because my IE is not functioning. I have IE8 when clicked it acts like it is opening and working but most of the screen does not fill out as normal and no connection is made. I am able to access the internet via Mozilla but the various anti-virus programs have not accessed through it even though I have chosen Mozilla as my default browser.
    I am running XP sp3.
    Is it okay to proceed on the 8-step program without any anti-virus program?
    Thanks

4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

No. Better to leave it on the system since you have internet access with Firefox.. Touch will have you do a virus scan and update later. Go ahead and run the programs, use a flash drive if you need it to download them from the internet, then install on problem system.

Attach the 3 logs when through.

And a suggestion for IE: remove v8, drop back to v7 and see if that works.

I'm doing the easy work> Touch gets the hard stuff!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.