Svchost.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementofice

My svchost.exe occasionally starts up and shoots up to 100% right after I load windows, but sometimes I can open up a firefox and it will go back down to 0%, and sometimes it still stays at 100%. Anyway attached are the services running under this svchost.exe. Are there any services that are either causing this problem or services that are pretty useless and I can disable to help prevent this problem?

Attachments

• svchost.JPG
    svchost.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 6
if you want to know what is really running under SVCHOST.EXE, go to a command prompt and run:
tasklist /svc

Checking in Task Manager in Vista

You can right-click on a particular svchost.exe process, and then choose the "Go to Service" option.

(Xp & Vista)
You can use the excellent Process Explorer utility from Microsoft/Sysinternals to see what services are running as a part of a svchost.exe process.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You can also go to Start-> Run-> services.msc
And check out all the services running

Actually the image I attached is a screenie of process explorer, it shows the services that were running, I wanted to know if any of em were bad or I could disable permanently that wold help the situation.

auto update processes

if it's periodic, it's likely to be some AUTOUPDATE process.

use the Task Manager, click on the IMAGE title, and read for ***updat** in the name.

now go to your services.msc and disable that name.

also use Spybot S&D to locate Startup programs, looking for **updat** names
uncheck the [box] to disable it -- you can always come back and re-enable later :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back