By elementofice
Feb 29, 2008
  1. My svchost.exe occasionally starts up and shoots up to 100% right after I load windows, but sometimes I can open up a firefox and it will go back down to 0%, and sometimes it still stays at 100%. Anyway attached are the services running under this svchost.exe. Are there any services that are either causing this problem or services that are pretty useless and I can disable to help prevent this problem?

Attached Files:

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

if you want to know what is really running under SVCHOST.EXE, go to a command prompt and run:
    tasklist /svc

Checking in Task Manager in Vista

You can right-click on a particular svchost.exe process, and then choose the "Go to Service" option.

(Xp & Vista)
    You can use the excellent Process Explorer utility from Microsoft/Sysinternals to see what services are running as a part of a svchost.exe process.

You can also go to Start-> Run-> services.msc
    And check out all the services running
  3. elementofice

elementofice TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

Actually the image I attached is a screenie of process explorer, it shows the services that were running, I wanted to know if any of em were bad or I could disable permanently that wold help the situation.
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

auto update processes

if it's periodic, it's likely to be some AUTOUPDATE process.

use the Task Manager, click on the IMAGE title, and read for ***updat** in the name.

now go to your services.msc and disable that name.

also use Spybot S&D to locate Startup programs, looking for **updat** names
    uncheck the [box] to disable it -- you can always come back and re-enable later :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.