Swedish retailers open Far Cry 3 preorders, coming this year?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Two Swedish retailers have created preorder pages for the next iteration of Far Cry. Game.se and Webhallen.com have priced a standard and collector's edition of Far Cry 3 for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A basic PC copy will cost 499kr, while console versions are 599kr. The collector's edition is 799kr and 999kr. A direct conversion shows higher than usual pricing in US dollars, but Ubisoft will surely stick to the norm.

What's more interesting, is that both sites claim the title is coming in 2010. Ubisoft has previously said that it's developing the franchise's third installment, but nothing has been officially unveiled. You'd think they would have said something by now if a holiday launch was planned -- especially with E3 and Gamescom recently passing. Some speculate the developer is planning a blowout for the Tokyo Game Show next month.

The stores could also just be speculating it's coming this year in an effort to score a few early sales. One makes it clear that "price, product description and release dates are tentative and subject to change." Far Cry 3 is set in Africa again, but with an even larger world and a completely updated Dunia engine. The listing mentions that an Internet connection is required to play the game, which presumably means Ubisoft's DRM is present.

Permalink to story.

Far Cry 2 was terrible... i think i played it once and then sold it.

As far as i know FC3 isn't slated for this year.

FC2 was one of the better PC games I've played. It was fantastic.

I don't see why so many people hate on it so much

If they put that DRM on it I'm not buying it. In which case I'll have to pirate it.

FC2 was not a bad game but I was expecting a true sequel to the original and it didn't deliver in that respect.

I got Far Cry 2 with my purchase of a nVidia 9800 GTX+, I wonder if that counts toward the oveall sales of the game... Anyway I was one of the few who enjoyed Far Cry 2. I played it two times in full. I must confess a lot of it was just enjoying the scenery, I still think it is the best looking game today. No other games handle vegetation like the FC engines do. I enjoy being able to take in the environment as part of the gaming experience. I know a lot of people like to just rush through the story quickly, but not me...

I also know a lot of people complained about the repetitiveness and endlessly respawning guard posts. I agree it was repetitive and the respawning guards were annoying, but I saw past this and simply went around the guard posts. It also helps if you spend a lot of time on a boat, you can reach most your missions by boat. I also felt the first area map was too deserty and bland. The second part of the map once you got about half way through the game was much prettier, greener with a lot more water and just a more pleasant environment.

Either way I enjoyed FC2 and I hope a FC3 comes, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they made the story more adventurous and to take more turns instead of the same type of mission over and over. And the respawning guard posts, they need to do something about that...

I certainly understand the not buying for DRM crap... I went through all 5 activations on my FC2 because of OS reinstalls and at the end, I just said Eff it and downloaded a copy. I already PAID for the game, and paying customers shouldn't have to put up with that crap.

I loved both Far Cry's. As a 20-year Army Infantry vet, I found that the weapon characteristics and sounds were as close to the real thing as I've ever heard in a game. The scenery was fantastic, a compelling storyline and only those dumb enough to keep driving around in autos had to mess with the respawning guard locations. My only gripe about FC2 was I thought the ending was really weak. Not the final battles leading up to the ending, the actual end of the storyline.

And I could care less about Ubisoft's online DRM. People act as if they're being tortured or something. Big deal - you have to have a continuous Internet connection. That only applies to 100% PvP shooter games out there already. As well as Steam, EA and Windows Live validating your copy of any game you purchase from them before you can play. People really need to get a grip and find something to whine about that's not nearly so ridiculous.

Guest said:
I still think it is the best looking game today. No other games handle vegetation like the FC engines do.

You've obviously never played crysis. The far cry 2 trees look nowhere near as realistic as the ones in crysis. No game has been able to surpass crysis in terms of graphical quality to this very day.

i wonder how many people who've played Far Cry 2 have played the first one... it's like night and day. FC2 is just a whole lot of nothing. it looks kinda nice, and there were a few things i liked about it, but there are more important things. glad i sold it... good riddance.

princeton said:
Guest said:
I still think it is the best looking game today. No other games handle vegetation like the FC engines do.

You've obviously never played crysis. The far cry 2 trees look nowhere near as realistic as the ones in crysis. No game has been able to surpass crysis in terms of graphical quality to this very day.

I disagree. I find the vegetation in Far Cry 2 to be superior. Crysis was beautiful, but I think FC2 was better.

Oh, and the fires were amazing!

kg363 said:
FC2 was one of the better PC games I've played. It was fantastic.

I don't see why so many people hate on it so much

Because alot of people(me aswell) have played the first Far Cry and compare it to that and honestly there is NO comparison, the first had quality and an awesome feel and at the time it had a Crysis like detail to it at the time, very nice and 'lush' graphics.
I can just think back on just wanting to jump off the side of a mountain into the water it looked so nice haha =)

But it was made by Crytek, the same developers who did Crysis and there was much more depth to Far Cry and it was just nice to explore and the abilities you gained added to this, SPOILER ALERT you were injected with this prototype serum that gave you 'feral' abilities like running very fast, jumping very far and could see trails left by enemies and night vision, it was so cool.

This game is suppose to be set in Africa again? there had better be mutants, more 'feel' to movement and better AI or this will stink as much as the 2nd game.

The "higher than normal" price means that Swedes get ripped off regularly...

I too liked the weapons, they felt pretty realistic and thats coming from someone who owns a few Kalashnikov's and AR-15's, and have fired a few other weapons seen in the game. The single player for the weapons is awesome, however, one of the HUGE LET DOWNS I forgot to mention earlier was the limited ballastic range in multiplayer. It is REALLY ANNOYING when your bullets no longer exist after traveling a certain distance. Yet it still makes the bullet passing sound effect for the enemy and I believe their 'tracer' is still seen, but the bullet doesn't actually exist as matter anymore in the game so you don't get your hit/kill. They did this in the original FarCry as well but the distances were a lot further. But in FC2, the distances are so short its laughable. After about 50 meters your assault rifle rounds don't exist and wont hit enemies beyond that! WTH DEVELOPERS!??!?!!?

Anyway in response to the Crysis having better vegetation... ok maybe, but I didn't like all the additional post graphic effects added, it just make everything look crappy in my opinion.

I didn't like Far Cry 2 at all, I was expecting something as good as the original Far Cry, for me it was a big letdown
My biggest gripe was actually the poor AI, it just killed the experience for me...

As for those prices, those are normal prices in Sweden, I mean normal ripoff prices in Sweden :D

I played Far Cry countless times and then tried Far Cry 2. After a few attempts I gave up and was disappointed. I was expecting some of the original feel and it wasn’t there. It had great physics with the weapons, running, jumping etc. and beautiful graphics, but driving around and re-spawning pissed me off.
A few months later I tried it again, go right into it and I love it. You need to think of it as not Far Cry the sequel because you will be disappointed as I was. Take it as its own game, not a sequel.
I found using the recording feature sped up the game so I could drive faster. I crashed a lot but it helped that boring part of the game pass by quicker. Also taking the bus when you can helps skip the long drives.
I can’t wait for Far Cry 3, even if it’s not a true sequel as long as the physics and gameplay is there, I will be happy.

princeton said:
Guest said:

Not being an expert on how stuff is rendered etc, but having ultra-detailed trees couldn't have helped fps on Crysis. Far Cry 2 decided to let more people play the game in all the glory, rather than see a full-detail tree via binoculars in some spot on a mountain totally inaccessible. :S Once again, I'm assuming detailed trees = more GPU demand.

As for vegetation, Just Cause and Crysis have grass that bends underfoot.. I don't remember seeing it this goof on Far Cry 2.

The more detail the better. The more Games that push (pc) hardware to the limit the better, ok so you might not be able to run it on full, but if u have a shiny expensive new GFX card then you can see all the detail. A highly detailed game would also ''last'' longer in terms of GFX value, Crysis is still up there in terms of detailed GFX.

But other games like BFBC2, Just Cause 2, even GTA4 do other stuff so much better. I saw polygonal wheels on Crysis: Warhead. WTF. The only game to make my system lag (generalisation..) and it has straight-edged wheels. Also close-up stuff, a lot of other games have higher details in.

In all honesty I can't say Crysis is anywhere near the best-looking game. I'll admit it has epic landscapes and huge attention to detail, but compared to other new stuff it lacks where it shows.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought FC2 was rubbish compared to the orginal, Man I was soo dissapointed the day I got that installed it and everything than after about 1 hour i was like "this rather shallow compared to FC1".

Now don't get me wrong the Graphics are great but Crysis d*cks all over it. I have both running in full and I can safely say Crysis's feel a lot more natural and just generally more detailed.

Please Crytek, try to buy the rights back for FC!

st1ckm4n said:
But other games like BFBC2, Just Cause 2, even GTA4 do other stuff so much better. I saw polygonal wheels on Crysis: Warhead. WTF. The only game to make my system lag (generalisation..) and it has straight-edged wheels. Also close-up stuff, a lot of other games have higher details in.

In all honesty I can't say Crysis is anywhere near the best-looking game. I'll admit it has epic landscapes and huge attention to detail, but compared to other new stuff it lacks where it shows.

Come back and say that when you start playing on high or above on a high res. You'll notice you were wrong.

Back