TechSpot

Switching from ACPI to APM in 2k

By videobruce
May 24, 2003
  1. Without reinstalling 2k, how can you switch from ACPI to APM since I know you just can't change the driver?

Gigabyte GA-5AX (rev 3) with a Ali V chipset isn't compatable with 2k in the ACPI mode that I just found out.
    It cuts the FSB down by 50%
    Neither M$, Gigabyte or Ali have anything on this that I could find, but I did find it in a Google search suggested by someone else:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...=a0kC6.174%24Z74.43668%40news.abs.net&rnum=28

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

3. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

I don't think you can. I wasn't able to do it. Tried switching off ACPI once but I went back to using it. Had to reinstall twice in the process.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

It is possible and the link Mic provided has directions to do it. I have had it work on 4 different systems without any permanent problems.

Please make sure you are comfortable with the Windows 2000 repair process before you do it though. :) Just as a precaution. Alternatively, there are other ways to deal with problems you might encounter when you change power manage layers.

5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

yes, you change hardware abstraction layer. you do this by going into device manager and changing the driver for the computer as a whole from ACPI PC to standard PC I believe.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

Well, yes you can change it, but I remember my computer not working after I tried it. It's been a couple years so my memory is a bit foggy, heh, my memory is a bit foggy after a few days.

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,209   +424

I used to change mine to several different settings on a regular basis since I was on a duallie with a Creative sound card. There is constant crackling with Duallies and SMP machines so I would have to change it to uniprocessor when I wanted to play some games without all that noise. I tried several of the different settings and never had a problem with it - but maybe I just had really good luck with it. I did it the way Phantasm66 described it.

LNCPapa

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.