Switching over HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

Hey techspot :D

Omg, it's been like a year since I last posted xD .

Ok, so here's the deal; I'm moving hard drives, and swapping out motherboards, and I want to transfer the files from this hard drive to the next (the data, not the O/S).

I was just wondering if it's possible to install the new HDD, and then plug in the old HDD w/o messing up with the boot file so that I can transfer files w/o having to use a third-party's removable hard drive, due to the fact that the current hard drive, has a boot file too (durr :F), so I didn't know if they could conflict with each other.

I didn't know if you knew a HDD could do that same, or if there would be boot conflics (note that the new HDD is SATA, and the old is IDE) ;) . If you can't tell, I suck at hardware xD . Give me some software to code, and I can do it; talk to me about boot files, and hard drive configurations and I blank out xD .

Anyway, thanks for any answers guys :D . Sorry I've been away soo long xD .

I feel so stupid for asking this, since I'm pretty sure that if you set the BIOS to boot from 1 HDD, it will only boot from that HDD, but knowing my luck, I thought I'd get an exact answer from someone.

I recommend doing it the way that you want to :)

I can't tell you how many thousands of times I have plugged another HardDrive in internally, then backed up, without issue. (as long as not set to boot from the secondary harddrive ;) )

It is possible that Windows (not the boot part though) may assign different drive letters to your CD\DVD drive or new HardDrive
This is normal
When the HardDrive is later removed
And Windows starts up again (with the original HardDrive)
Any drive letter change will return to as it was before

Note: C: will not change drive letters (but external USB drives may <- eg just for the sake of the argument)

Go for it :grinthumb

Warning: replying will make your posts 4 And therefore becoming a recent member again (old post status gone!)

Please reply if this post was helpful ;)

Yes, thank you :) . I just wanted re-assurance on the matter. I know that Windows likes to change the drive letters to w/e is convenience :p . I also wanted to use this old hard drive after as a Linux get-away xD .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back