Symantec AnitVirus 10.1 and Window Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
This looks like the type of place im looking for with a problem I have.
Hopefully posted in the right place if not please feel free to advise me best place to pose this question.

Here at work we had our pc's networked up last summer to a Windows Server 2003 we are only a small company so only have about ten pc's in the network.

The guys that set it up put on Symantec Antivirus 10.1 for us (my boss like it I know its not the best but he will not change).

My question is the year is coming to the end so the license is about to expire I know this from checking the Admin Tools, Then the Symantec System Centre and following the correct tabs. It expires Aug 2nd.

The people who fitted the system have quote us about £345 to renew this.

I was looking for advice on how to do it myself, I remember when we had single user license's for Norton we had a bubble popping up when it was about to expire and was simply a case of clicking on it and updating the details, I take it 10.1 version is not the same as I cant see a easy way of doing it.

Any help on how to do this would be very much appriciated.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Enteralterego said:
Hey everyone,
This looks like the type of place im looking for with a problem I have.
Hopefully posted in the right place if not please feel free to advise me best place to pose this question.

Here at work we had our pc's networked up last summer to a Windows Server 2003 we are only a small company so only have about ten pc's in the network.

The guys that set it up put on Symantec Antivirus 10.1 for us (my boss like it I know its not the best but he will not change).

My question is the year is coming to the end so the license is about to expire I know this from checking the Admin Tools, Then the Symantec System Centre and following the correct tabs. It expires Aug 2nd.

The people who fitted the system have quote us about £345 to renew this.

I was looking for advice on how to do it myself, I remember when we had single user license's for Norton we had a bubble popping up when it was about to expire and was simply a case of clicking on it and updating the details, I take it 10.1 version is not the same as I cant see a easy way of doing it.

Any help on how to do this would be very much appriciated.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Andy,

My namesake! Pay what it takes to get anti-virus! There are just certain things a company network must have and up to date, valid anti-virus is one of them. So is anti-spyware. As the network admin, it's your job to keep the network running. When a virus or spyware disables the network, that;'s downtime for the ENTIRE company and the owner is going to see money go out the window!! Put your budget towards items that ensure the network doesn't go down or if it does, it can get back up quickly! Other items that may increase productivity or offer nifty features you can skimp on or go without. You need to keep that network running or, worst case, be able to get it back up and running ASAP if it gets disabled!

That means you need the following: coporate anti-virus, anti-spyware and image backup utilities!

I recommend AVG for the anti-virus & anti-spyware and Acronis True Image for the backup. AVG's commercial versions cost money but they are sound. AVG's home versions are free but go with the commerical. The image backup can get your network back up and running in minutes! Almost zero downtime!

almcneil said:
Andy,

My namesake! Pay what it takes to get anti-virus! There are just certain things a company network must have and up to date, valid anti-virus is one of them. So is anti-spyware. As the network admin, it's your job to keep the network running. When a virus or spyware disables the network, that;'s downtime for the ENTIRE company and the owner is going to see money go out the window!! Put your budget towards items that ensure the network doesn't go down or if it does, it can get back up quickly! Other items that may increase productivity or offer nifty features you can skimp on or go without. You need to keep that network running or, worst case, be able to get it back up and running ASAP if it gets disabled!

That means you need the following: coporate anti-virus, anti-spyware and image backup utilities!

I recommend AVG for the anti-virus & anti-spyware and Acronis True Image for the backup. AVG's commercial versions cost money but they are sound. AVG's home versions are free but go with the commerical. The image backup can get your network back up and running in minutes! Almost zero downtime!

Hi Andy!
Thanks for the advice but we dont really have a budjet for the Network, My boss wont shift from using Norton as that is what he has used for years and is very stubborn when it comes to change (I have told him that AVG is a much better product).
I have anti-spyware software set up ont he few pc's that use the interent but it is not to much of a problem as browsing non work sites is frowned upon here.
We backup all networks using a tape drive so far I have not had the need to use it yet.

You boss is a FOOL!! Just wait until a virus or spyware disables the network and watch him freak!! There is no point in running a comptuer network and NOT having budget for anti-virus, anti-spyware and image backup! The downtime you'll inevitably encounter will have easily justified it! You'll just have to argue the opportunity cost to him of NOT having adequate network protection, support and backup! That's what I would do! "How much money would you lose if the network had to be rebuilt from scratch?" Just pay what it takes to avoid potential disaster and improve recovery!

I use norton corporate on my home pcs all the time. The anti-virus is very light on resources. It is free to federal employees and contractors.

I don't know what it costs, but if your boss has a budget limit, ensure he states in writing what he will and will not do. That way if you have a system crash due to his cheapness, you won't get fired.

verbal instructions are worthless in tort cases for the most part...

We ended up just updating the licenses (It didn't take to long to find out how to do it).

IT here is not my proper job anyway I just get asked to look after the system and they understand if anything happens and the system goes down I can not be held responsible for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back