Symantec software update causing BSOD on some Windows XP PCs

By Shawn Knight
Jul 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Symantec has reported that a recent antivirus update caused a number of PCs running Windows XP to crash. The conflict is said to affect Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 software designed for business clients, resulting in the all-too-familiar blue screen of…

Read more
  2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

this reminds me of last year's AVG fiasco.

why can't software makers just keep things simple.

I miss the good old days when McAfee and Norton were just two simple anti virus softwares that you could install, and uninstall with ease.
  3. j05hh

j05hh Newcomer, in training Posts: 91   +15

ESET ftw!
  4. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash Newcomer, in training Posts: 103   +29

The answer is to not use Symantec. Or WinXP.

Or computers, really.
  5. people still install Symantec software ?

that news to me!
  6. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Bummer...... Don't they test that crap before they release the updates... oppps ... they forgot to test it.. oppsssyyy
    :)
  7. XP = relic = fail
    Sym products work fine as long as -SNIP-
  8. David T.

David T. Newcomer, in training

As I tell all my customers, do not use Symantec products. Just another reason not use this product. They have had a horrible track record for causing all sorts of issues with systems. In my opinion there are better products that do not cause the same head aches that offer the same if not better protection.
  9. raybk

raybk Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

This happened several years ago. I needed to reinstall Windows and I dropped using Symantec products anymore, at home.
    I am still using Symantec Endpoint Security in the office, unwillingly. It is bulky and it makes my computer dead slow, especially when updating virus definition. It downloads near 1G bytes of updated virus definition every day. During update, it takes more than 3 minutes start Outlook. Awful!
  10. We use Symantec Enterprise, which has been OK, not bad, not great. We still have a few XP machines for older apps that can only run on XP and for test purposes. I have not seen the issues mentioned in the report, though the XP machines are not used every day.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.