Sync Program

By dani_17
Jul 11, 2003
Post New Reply
  1. Hi!

I'm using Cobian Backup v5 for backups. It's a great tool, and it's free. I recomend it to anyone.

I love the option of "incremental backup", wich means it won't just copy all over, it will check what files didn't changed, so you don't waste time.

Anyhow, I still can't find a program that will create a Sync of a folder. That means, if I modify stuff or add files to the folder, it will copy them to the backup location. AND if I delete a file, it will delete it from the backup folder also.

Anyone knows wich one does this?
  2. cromrell

cromrell Newcomer, in training Posts: 52

sorry I'm not familiar w/ Cobian, which might answer my next question.

Q1: Why do you want to sync files to a folder, and then backup the folder location?
    Q2: Are you backing up to a removable media (floppy, zip, jazz, 4mm tape) or copying files to a different HD.
    Q3: If you are using incremental backup, won't it backup the files in-place where they are now?

FYI 1: I currently backup our servers to 4mm tape, on a 7 day tape rotation.
    Day 1 = perform FULL backup
    Days 2-7 = perform incremental backup
    Day 8 = swap the Tape and start over as Day 1.

FYI 2: answer to original SYNC question:
    you could accomplish this type of sync with a simple 'batch' file, scheduled to run at a set interval.
    DEL entire contents of backup folder, then COPY all files from native locations to the target location

C
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Ghostfiles is a very simple, but very good tool to do something like you mentioned:
    http://www.lowrieweb.com/products.htm

I heard of this program a few months back when I saw it in action on a customer's computer.
  4. dani_17

dani_17 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 208

Hi cromrell

What you say is perfectly possible. Each time I backup, It's about 90gb at a time that passes to a server in the network. There are about 150,000 files. My interest is keeping a backup copy of what I currently have in the computer that is backing up. That includes that If I delete a file, the backup also gets that file out.

I say this because at a point, Using incremental backup, I can have a diference of 20 Gb from the folder backed up to the backed up location. And passing 90gb each time is a lot of time.

I'll try ghostfile. For what the website says, it does just what I need :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.