Sync Program

dani_17

Hi!

I'm using Cobian Backup v5 for backups. It's a great tool, and it's free. I recomend it to anyone.

I love the option of "incremental backup", wich means it won't just copy all over, it will check what files didn't changed, so you don't waste time.

Anyhow, I still can't find a program that will create a Sync of a folder. That means, if I modify stuff or add files to the folder, it will copy them to the backup location. AND if I delete a file, it will delete it from the backup folder also.

Anyone knows wich one does this?

sorry I'm not familiar w/ Cobian, which might answer my next question.

Q1: Why do you want to sync files to a folder, and then backup the folder location?
Q2: Are you backing up to a removable media (floppy, zip, jazz, 4mm tape) or copying files to a different HD.
Q3: If you are using incremental backup, won't it backup the files in-place where they are now?

FYI 1: I currently backup our servers to 4mm tape, on a 7 day tape rotation.
Day 1 = perform FULL backup
Days 2-7 = perform incremental backup
Day 8 = swap the Tape and start over as Day 1.

FYI 2: answer to original SYNC question:
you could accomplish this type of sync with a simple 'batch' file, scheduled to run at a set interval.
DEL entire contents of backup folder, then COPY all files from native locations to the target location

C

Hi cromrell

What you say is perfectly possible. Each time I backup, It's about 90gb at a time that passes to a server in the network. There are about 150,000 files. My interest is keeping a backup copy of what I currently have in the computer that is backing up. That includes that If I delete a file, the backup also gets that file out.

I say this because at a point, Using incremental backup, I can have a diference of 20 Gb from the folder backed up to the backed up location. And passing 90gb each time is a lot of time.

I'll try ghostfile. For what the website says, it does just what I need :)

Back