TechSpot

Synching from Jump Drive to Desktop

By misterpowers
Feb 11, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi - Like several others here, I am using a SanDisk Cruzer (8 GB) to sync files between a PC Desktop folder at home and the same folder at work. Trouble is, I can't seem to get it to actually make any changes to any of the files in the Desktop folder at work or at home. The synching application runs, and makes a big show of "synching", but when I look at the files in the Desktop folder on the PC, nothing is different. They do not show the recent updates to the files on the Cruzer.

Anyone know how to set up the Profile in this Cruzer to get it to update an identical folder on the Desktop of two different PCs? Thanks - misterpowers
  2. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie Posts: 85

Hmmm... U3 causes me so many headaches, have you tried updating the U3 software. (backup the data on your flash drive first)
  3. misterpowers

misterpowers TS Rookie Topic Starter

Not yet

but I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. Thanks
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,406   +314

get a copy of Allway Sync and install it on the thumb drive so it will be available wherever it is inserted

At home, create a JOB for sync from HD->Thumb Drive (give it a job name like HOME)

At work create another JOB for sync Thumb Drive ->Work Folder and a name like WORK.

the sync will update the Missing or Modified files in ether direction :)
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,525   +300

If you are dealing with small files or a fast connection and have admin privs on the comps you may be better off with something like DropBox, which handles things over the internet. I use it for some things even between computers on my home network.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,406   +314

website is devoid of details for accessing files thru a corporate firewall :(
  7. xehqter

xehqter TS Rookie Posts: 85

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know DropBox existed, this is so cool, thanks. Now if I had an app that would sync my email, contacts, calendar, etc across my computers i'll be all set. (Basically exchange)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.