TechSpot

Synology DS2413+ NAS Review: For when you're serious about storage

By Julio Franco
Apr 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. kuroiei

kuroiei TS Enthusiast Posts: 93   +29

Looks tasty. :) I'd love something that would hold all of the things that I'd ever see in my life on my PC.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,201   +422

You'd be surprised how quickly you could use up this amount of storage if you had it to play with.

3. Nice stuff for small business (<20). Bigger business will probably have other requirements like not having a shutdown-button in the web interface ;-)

4. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,177   +1,200

Why is that an issue? You can set user privileges.

5. I just bought the DS213+, a very impressive two bay NAS with a dual core CPU. The stuff you can do with Synology boxes is very impressive.

6. Just built a 4-bay NAS (Mediasonic Raid Box and 4x Seagate 3TB). 8.5TB single drive to Windows encrypted with Truecrypt on Raid 5 for around $700. Bought the box and drives through Amazon. Footprint is super small and quality is decent (not great). Been running since the 1st of the year on a machine I keep on all the time anyway. Probably not business class by a long shot, but can't beat the price.

7. kuroiei

kuroiei TS Enthusiast Posts: 93   +29

I know, only a single movie / 3d project that I do now can take up anywhere from 1GB to 80GB. So... you're right. ;)

8. AlanCasseb

AlanCasseb TS Rookie Posts: 20

Sorry if I missed that information but, have u guys tested the throughput using 2 LAN cables and the Link Aggregation feature?

9. pmshah

pmshah TS Rookie Posts: 95

Some 15 years ago I came across an Asus motherboard that supported 8 IDE drives. It sold for perhaps 10% premium over the normal board that supported 4 drives. I have a "server" cabinet that can support 10 drives with front access. "Hot Swap" capability is essentially a feature of the OS which is easily configured in Linux as also the NAS feature. One need only buy the right kind of caddy for mechanical support. So why spend $1800 on a rig that can be done for under $ 500 to 600 ?

10. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,201   +422

You're talking about the difference between hardware and software RAID... in a totally different league. Plus, with that cabinet that houses all those drives you'll need a computer behind it with sufficient CPU to manage the overhead from the array. Heck, a decent 8 drive hardware RAID card will cost you at least $400 alone with 12 drive support starting around $700.

Steve likes this.