System 32 error in XP, BSOD when trying to repair

By RavenStar
Jul 28, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all,

I am hoping someone can give me some insight on this ...

I have a computer that crashed - it didn't seem to have any problems when it was shut down the last time, but on the next start up this error appeared:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

Now, I've run into this before and have been able to fix it from the recovery console ... the problem now is that I can't even GET to the RC ... when I boot from the XP disc, it starts loading up just fine, then about halfway though the BSOD pops up. And now I just realized that I don't have my notes with me for the BSOD error, so I will have to come back and post that after. But hopefully this will be enough to start some ideas :)

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

the \repair directory is minimal and the registry files there are NEVER updated from an install; ergo anything you've installed will be lost in the sense that the necessary registry entries will be missing even though all the files are still present ;(

here's one kb article

the procedure referencing the \repair folder is only STEP-1 of a THREE step process documented here

Another approach is to Restore a System Restore Point using

if you can get to ANY bootable condition