System Alert Icon - can't get rid of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I recently started receiving this annoying System Alert Icon. In searching the web on how to get rid of it...I found your forum.

I have also tried a couple of programs to remove the problem but they didn't work. I think I made more of a mess than anything. Since this message appeared, my system is also slow.

I've attached my hijackthis.log.

Please help :(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. Extract it but don`t run it yet.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A6ACAE64-F798-4930-AD86-BD3FB32038DB} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: Protection Bar - {84938242-5C5B-4A55-B6B9-A1507543B418} - (no file)

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: curdler - {bd0fc212-0a36-4232-83cc-2063fb9282e0} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\qzviz.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted. If your computer doesn`t automatically restart, restart it manually.

This is the filepath you need to enter into killbox.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\qzviz.dll

Once your system has rebooted, rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know if you`re still having any problems.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Chakachic only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi Howard,

Is killbox necessary here to remove the C:\WINDOWS\system32\qzviz.dll file?
Or is it generally recommended to use the program on .dll files that run in the background?

I think Killbox is necessary in this case. However, if killbox fails to delete the file(I don`t think it will, but you never know), I`ll have to look at other alternatives.

You wouldn`t necessarily use Killbox to delete a .dll file. That`s because some infections require very specific tools to get rid of them. Obviously, you`d need to know which .dll files belong to which infections, in order to know which tool to use.

The best thing you can do to learn is read as many HJT log threads as you can stomach and try and see what`s been used to get rid of certain infections. Also, as I`ve said before, Google and Yahoo search engines are an invaluable source of info.

If you have any further questions, then use pm`s, instead of asking the question directly in a running thread. It makes the thread longer than it needs to be and isn`t very fair to the thread starter. Thanks.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of momok only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back