System Alert: Popups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help, does anyone know how I can finally get rid of this popup virus trojan muck I have on my computer. Last week it seemed I had a hacking attempt or something, somehow I was locked out of all my administrative abilities and in the admin password was changed. I had to reformat the hard drive and start again.

But lo and behold even though I installed AVG free edition to battle virus's I seem to have been affected straightaway! So far the only evidence is this little exclamation mark on the task bar that flashes away and popups with the message:

System Alert: Popups
Your computer is infected with spyware managing pop-up advertisements (OHPE ver 4.12_23). Click the icon to learn more on what you can do about pop-up windows and other unwanted software.

I did click on this and it didn't do anything but bring up a blank page, I don't trust it.

Does anyone know what I should do, or what software I can install. I have no idea what's going on in the background of my computer but AVG seems to have found about 9 trojans (?) and deleted those but I bet there's more.

Thanks heaps
Keira

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you reformat and reinstall, you`re supposed to disconnect from the net and don`t reconnect until Windows is reinstalled and you have installed a firewall.

If you haven`t got any firewall software, I suggest you download and install the free Zonealarm firewall from HERE

Next, go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Then, post a fresh HJT log as a .txt attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back