System Crash, can't figure it out - Windows Blue Screen of Death BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me with this. My computer was fine, I was working on a Word document and I decided to do a spyware scan since I hadn't done so in a while. I updated and started scanning with SpyBot S&D. At one point in the scan, I got a message saying something like "can't read memory at "... I didn't think it was a huge deal, clicked okay and went back to working on my Word doc. A few seconds later my antivirus (AVG) crashed and I got the famous BSOD.

I rebooted and it starts loading the startup items, after a few minutes things start crashing (i.e. processes failed to initialize, can't find x, etc.) and eventually I get the blue screen.

I logged in Safe Mode and tried a virus scan, the scan was going well and then the whole system crashed and my computer reboots.

I have no idea what this could be, do I have a virus? is my hard drive about to die?

If anyone out there has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

HijackThis log file attached.

If you can, go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump and see if there are any minidump files in there. if so please post 3-4 of the most recent ones and we will be more than happy to look them over for you.

If there aren't any in that location please let us know
Also, your system specs would be very helpful as well:

Operating system
Computer make/model
Motherboard
VIdeo card, if not intergrated
CPU
Ammount/brand of RAM

Hello ciro3

The TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Do all skip no step (do not install another virus scanner as you already have one).

Most importantly update MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSptware!

Before you scan with SuperAntiSpyWare do the below:

SuperAntispyware config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

It asks to update the program definitions, click Yes.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure the following are checked:
1. Close browsers before scanning
2. Scan for tracking cookies
3. Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
4. Leave the others as they are.

In MalwareBytes after update but before running
Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

Run them and post their logs then a new HJT log.

Do this correctly and we will make a short job of this!

NOTE: If it lets you install but not update or run STOP and get back to me!

Mike

Hey there, no problem. The same thing has happened to me. I was going to possibly recommend that as the next step depending on the contents of or lack of the minidump files.

Thanks for the extremely quick responses!

I tried running antivirus software in Safe Mode but they all crash within a few minutes.

My system is:

CPU: Athlon 64 3800+
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SE
Video Card: GEFORCE 8800GT
RAM: OCZ 2GB (1GB sticks, dual channel)

Dump files attached.

Minidump 111508-07, 111508-08
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Cause
This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

Possible Sloutions

Download memtest from www.memtest.org Get the iso version and burn it to a cd with your burning software of choice. Then boot your computer with the CD in the drive with the cd-rom as the first boot device. Let it run for a minimum of 7 passes. Note: There are several tests performed per pass.

For burning iso's I use Alex Feinman's iso recorder which you can get here http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm ...After you install ISO Recorder, no program group is created and there is no application to run. ISO Recorder is a Shell extension, which means it provides additional options in a file right-click menu. To create a CD with ISO Recorder right-click on a file with .iso extension and select "open with" then click "ISO Recorder"

To resolve an error caused by an incompatible device driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup tool
Check the System Log in Event Viewer by, clicking start---> Rclick my computer---> click manage--->Click the + sign beside Event viewer---> click System and look for any for error messages that correspond to the time of the blue screens and might identify the device or driver that caused the error.

Minidump 111508-09
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x50
Probably caused by : Hardware

Cause
Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Possible Solution:
Seeing as how your other minidumps are citing memory corruption, test the ram with memtest as stated above. Also you may want to download the manufacturers diagnostic utilities for your hard drive(s) and motherboard. Also updating all of your drivers would be a good idea as well.

Minidump 111508-10
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x4E_99
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
Process Name: Crashreporter.exe

Possible Solution:

It seems that you may indeed be infected with some malware, So follow the instructions here https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ on that.

After doing all of the above stated please post back and let us know what you have found, and if this issue has been resolved or not. We will be more than happy to help you through this every step of the way.

Resolved

Hi guys,

I tried so many things as you suggested but it wasn't until I tested the RAM that I found out what was wrong!

I had bought two sticks of RAM (2 x 1GB sticks) a few months ago to upgrade my system to 3GB. I had old 2x512MB sticks.

So it turns out the new sticks failed almost every memory test. I took them out, left the old ones in and my system is working like before!

I also scanned the system as you guys suggested with the software mentioned above and it found a few malware and also a trojan. So I cleaned my system completely and things are working better than they did before.

Now I'll have to try and find my receipt for my new faulty RAM sticks, to see what the warranty says.

Thanks again for looking into this for me, it was a frustrating weekend and all I had to do was remove those sticks of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back