1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

system doesn't Boot, long repeated beep. System shuts off

By diego772 ยท 6 replies
Aug 10, 2006
  1. Hi, I'd like to see if somebody have any idea of what's happening to my sistem: a Medion M3 Composer with Mobo: MSI Ms-7046 socket 775, P4 3.0HT, DDR-SDRAM.
    It has been working flawless for about a year, two days ago, I go boot it, and the WinXP splash sceen got frozen. I powered off the PC and powered on again...Single long beep, that repeats regurarly and no video...no boot.

I tried to reset the CMOS by removing the battery. When I powered the PC back on, it shut off immediately and by itself re-powered on after 2-3 seconds doing the same long beep, no boot, no video.

I tried all kinds, removed, all devices, tried one by one the RAMs, installed another CPU, etc. all with no success.

I tried anothe MoBo, but didn't finish booting (!)...it shut off by itself after a couple of BIOS screens...maybe this motherboard is not fully compatible with the system...or faulty PSU???

Unfortunately when I put the orignal MSI MoBo, and put power, I didn't got any self-suts off...but I smelled what I shouldn't have smelled!!!

ANY HELP, CLUE???

THANKS!

2. dazzer9535

dazzer9535 Banned Posts: 117

3. diego772

diego772 TS Rookie Topic Starter

My beep is just a long beep that starts right after I press power button. Just a long single beep that repeats over and over.

I forgot an important things on my original post...If I unplug the 12V 4 pin connector from the MoBo, i don't get the beep...Of course I also don't get life from the PC, having disconnected the CPU from power. It might help to pinpoint better the problem.

Thanks

4. dazzer9535

dazzer9535 Banned Posts: 117

This will tell you what you need to know about beeps try having a look http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

5. diego772

diego772 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Unfortunatey there is no one long repeating beep shown on the page.
    I have an AMI bios, and one long beep is not mentioned!
    Thanks though

6. bronyraur

bronyraur TS Rookie

Check your RAM.

7. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

You mention smelling something... smoke? Something fried?

And also, you mentioned that you tried with a different motherboard, and still could not start up?

I am guessing you have a dead power supply. Do you have another one you can use to test this?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.