System fail on startup, XP SP2, error: a device is not functioning

Hi,

I tried installing windows 7 on a second partition -big mistake.
I was using an Acer aspire m1100 pc, with windows XP sp2.
Hers' a link to the specs:
hXXp://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM1100/AspireM1100sp2.shtml

After successfully installing windows 7 on a second partition, my pc would hang on a screen that said: verifying DMI pool data. I reformatted the the w7 partition and even deleted it but the same hanging occured. So I used the Windows 7 installation cd in conjunction with cmnd prompt to uninstall w7 and this seemed to work. I was able to get passed the dmi data pool screen but now it crashes consistently while the XP is booting.

I am able to get into safe mode, and after checking the event log I found 5 errors will consistently occur when booting:

1)The DHCP Client service depends on the netbios over tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

2)The DNS Clinet serive depends on the TCP/IP prtotocol Driver Service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

3)The TCP/IP NetBios helper service depends on the AFD service whic failed to start beacause of the start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

4)The IPSEC Services service depends on the Ipsec driver service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

5)The following boot-start or system start drivers failed to load:
AAvmker
AFD
aswRdr
aswSnx
aswSP
aswtdi
ELRAWDisk
Fips
IPsec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
Processor
RasAcd
Rdbss
Tcpip

Any help would be ubber appreciated, Thanks.

Edit: Also I should note that while I was having the hanging issue I swapped hard drives with one from an older pc, It didn't hang but crashed. I also put the Hard drive that I had partitioned into this older pc, so I could remove the win7 partition.

How much memory do you have installed? Why were you running XP service pack 2? You were missing many critical MS XP Updates. Was Windows Update operational? How much hard drive space are you leaving for the Windows 7 install?

Re install XP and update it fully to Service Pack 3. Make sure you have no XP driver issues this time. When XP is working, run the tool:
http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor Pay attention to what it tells you

Back