TechSpot

"System failed CPU test" message, system freezing occasionally

By goalie99
Feb 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone,

My system freezes occasionally and I get the informative "system failed CPU test" message. I also hear an annoying beep which is probably coming from the cpu fan but I am not sure about that. I think my computer is quite old, so it might be the case that the CPU is dead but I hope there's still a way to fix it.

Of course the first thing I did in order to solve the problem was searching in the manual of the motherboard to find some information about the above-mentioned informative message. ASUS suggest that I should check the CPU if it's properly installed. I removed the CPU, heat sink and fan firstly. After that, I cleaned the cooling paste from the CPU and heatsink, added cooling paste to the CPU and I assembled all the parts onto the motherboard.

I also tried to find out more about the minidump-files generated by Windows, but I couldn't find anything interesting.

If anyone could help me fixing the system freezes and the other above-mentioned problems, I would be glad to hearing a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Greets, goalie99.
    The last minidump-file is attached to this message.

Attached Files:

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Below is additional information from your duplicate thread that was held for moderation:

3. goalie99

goalie99 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Anyone a solution?

The computer still reboots automatically. No one has a solution?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,866   +165

Go here and test the memory and hard drive for errors:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html

Also open the computer and make sure that the fans are clean and running and that there is not a lot of dust inside

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.