System Freeze and odd reboot problem - please help!

By JordanF
Aug 8, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, I would really appreciate some help.

I recently upgraded my pc by purchasing a MSI K8N Neo4-f Socket 939 motherboard and AMD 64 3500+ CPU. I did a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 and for the past 2 weeks the system has run fine until today...

I was playing a game (played since upgrading) and it just stopped working - frozen. I couldn't get any response (ctrl-alt-del did nothing) so I hit the reset button.

When the system rebooted, it didn't even get as far as read the HDD.. it just sat there. So I hit reset again, and it made no difference (screen went blank, heard the 'beep' and got the image the motherboard has on screen, then nothing).

I turned it off and left it for 5 minutes. This seemed to work, and the system booted in to windows just fine.

About 20 minutes later it did the same thing again. So I rebooted and instead of hanging on the initial boot screen, I got the message "Disk boot failure..." which is odd I thought... When I entered BIOS it didn't see my HDD.

After leaving it off for 5 mins or so, it booted back up fine (saw the HDD this time) and that was that.

Fast foward to 30 mins ago, the system crashed again, I rebooted again, it didn't see my HDD again... I waited a few mins and tried once more but still it couldn't see my drive?? I opened the case and plugged the sata cable in to another port and this time it worked and so I type this now wondering what the hell is going on...

So.. where on earth do I start in solving this problem? I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks for your time.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.